Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Complete Network Analysis ToolKit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTMan

MIS
Feb 15, 2001
US
After reviewing the posts over the last few months, I have acknowledged the need for asking, "What items do most network analysts carry in their toolkits?" I'm interested in finding out what the tools of the trade are (as far as reference material). I know I have reading multiple articles suggesting the complete tcp/udp port numbers. Please submit a common listing of the tools you feel a network analyst would need in order to successful complete an engagement.

Thanks in advance,
DT Man

TCP/UDP Port #'s
Mac address vendor list
a small hub.
crossover cable and straight through cable

A used HP340 battery operated printer..mine cost 50 bucks off Ebay.. you can not always get access to a printer on site.. and it's very useful to have a hardcopy to either study or to give a quick and dirty update to the client who might ask "how is it going"

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Excerpts from the Laura's book 'Advanced Network Analysis Techniques' (
- Hex reader/Editor
- Packet sanitizer
- General route tracing tool (e.g. NeoTrace, VisualRoute)
- Screen capture utility (e.g. SnagIt)
- All purpose TCP/IP utility software (DNS lookups, Whois queries, Port probes - e.g. NetScanTools,
ping, traceroute, arp, route, netstat, pathping, ipconfig, nbtstat, etc...on Windows O/S.)

- Elca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back