Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The box with a Red X -- Missing swfs in Internet Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandravega

Programmer
Feb 10, 2004
AR
Some moron take care of my pc and somehow he managed to configure my Internet Explorer in a way that stops every swf and presents me with the red X white box.
The moron can't recall the way he did that and I can`t figure it out.

I hope somebody here knows how to solve this... It`s not a big deal, but its annoying. And researching is very time-consuming.

Clue: the moron was reading some antivirus or segurity recomendations that told him "desactivate flash animations, they can cause damage" and explained him how to fullfill this work. We don`t know what url was he in.

Thank you all for your constant help & wit

Sandra Vega

Give these a try and let us know if they help.

Go to tools then internet options on ie. then click the advanced tab. Go under multimedia. make sure play animations is checked, also make sure show pictures is checked. Also make sure play videos is checked. If you had to check any hit apply and ok. Also if your using a firewall such as norton or zone alarm or anything of the type, look at there settings as a lot of them contain banner or image blockers that sometimes block things that you dont want to be blocked.

If this "moron" broke your PC instead of fixing it, and he was hired as a professional to render services, then I'd be seeking compensation for your lost time / earnings. Cowboy outfits like that just shouldn't be allowed to remain in business, and the only way they'll learn is by being taken to the cleaners.

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

please do let us know what happens with those steps electronicfreak gave you also give this a try update your macromedia player
good luck!

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

macromedia flash player i mean.

i had an issue like your recently.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Hi everybody!
Thank you very much for all your messages. The moron is a friend of mine who was using my PC and read somewhere that it was safer (in order to avoid virus, trojans and so on) to desactivate Flash animations in Internet Explorer so he did so... I'm the major moron for letting this kind of people use my PC, but I'm a generous stupid soul. In my behalf, I should say I didn´t know he was like that...
I have checked out what electronicsfreak says and it does not solve the issue.
Any other suggestions?
Thank you all again

Sandra Vega

Try:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level

Set "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to "Enable"
Set "Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting" to "Enable"

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thank you Dan!
But I'm sorry to say I've had already tried this and it didn't work.
Aparently, the only way to solve this is to re-install or repair Windows XP. I dont't find any other clue searching internet.
But still, if anyone knows something else...

Thanks a lot

Sandra

Thank you electronicsfreak!
That solved the problem.
Thank you very much!!
Sandra

good call electronicfreak!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back