Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Blacked out headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocua

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
CA
Win 98SE Internet Explorer and Outlook Express 6.0.
I posted this problem last week and there was a very good reply, now I have an update.
Sometimes (but not always) when new e-mail is downloaded, the four headers and the messages in the upper part of Outlook Express turn completely black, also the Address Line in Internet Explorer.
On two seperate occasions overt he weekend when the blacked-out problem returned, I used Norton Utilities to `Find and Fix problems' and I've posted below what Norton came up with both times. Norton did fix it (both times), but the problem just seems to keep coming back.
What is the interpretation of what Norton is telling me and how can I fix it?

The ActiveX/com section of your registry one or more invalid entries.
This can cause documents to open improperly, applications not run, or your computer to crash

Details
Missing or invalid key: "com_arse-or-elbow_#_auto_file\shell\open\command"
The key, "com_arse-or-elbow_#_auto_file\shell\open\command," refers to an invalid command entry, C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\program % 1."

I may be wrong but com_**arse-or-elbow**_#_auto_file certainly by it's name does not sound like a valid key (unless it's some sort of joke program)in addition to pointing to an executable file named "Program" in the Creative Sound Blaster folder which does not sound valid either.

I am fairly certain that you may have some sort of malware on your machine. (Then again, Creative's software is on the questionable side also.)

Check out the file in question to see whether or not it truly exists and it's properties: C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\program (.com or .exe).

You may also want to try an alternative virus scanner - I am assuming that you are using Norton.

You can download a decent one for free - AVG -
@
Or try the online free check @

Thanks for the reply and I will follow your advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back