Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

THE BEST VISUAL BASIC BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

aas1611

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
DE
Hi all,
I was wondering what is the best VB book/reference around?
I'm very unfamiliar with VB language, but I notice that there are a lot of built-in functions. How do you remember all those functions, which one you should use, etc?

Thanks much!!

Practice, Practice, Practice! I know it's subjective, but I find the best way is to learn by doing. If you want to know if something will work, try it. If you doesn't then you know it doesn't, and if it does you have learned another way to do something. Forums like this are good places to learn some things, but only after you already have a working knowledge of VB - otherwise you can't ask specific enough questions to really get good answers.

To further the FUD, there is NO "Best" each has some strengths (and corresponding weaknesses). What works for one person bewilders another, What is 'greek to me' at one point becomes interesting later and (hopefully) trivial later.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Hey,
If you are looking for the 'general and beginner's stuff' of VB, I'd recommend this...
"Visual Basic 6: How to Program,.. by Deitel&Deitel". It's a big yellow book.
These guys(or gals, I don't know:) do a good job in explaining what they do and providing lots of code to look at.
I think u'll sorta find that VB is not that hard to get started on, if u have previos prog'n exp.

hope this helps :)

I found a good crash course @ Don't laugh. I purchased the "Visual Basic and Databases" and It's very straight forward. Not to mention quick, if your the type to scan though for what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back