Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The best path for learning Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about getting into Crystal since we use it a lot where I work. I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff and was wondering if there are any good books you guys can recommend. I have a strong networking background but never really dealt with data. Is there a good beginner book for learning how to use Crystal? All help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Hugo

A couple of key items we all need to know

[ul]
[li]Crystal version because many of the responses are version dependent
[li]Database (Oracle, Access, etc)
[li]Connectivity
[li]Sample data (what kind of data are you using). It also help to know what kind of industry data you are reporting on. For, example, help desk, inventory, medical, claims, etc.
[li]Expected output in terms of grouping, totals, etc
[/ul]

When I started 2 years ago, the best way was to get in and do it with one or two table at first to get the feel. For beginners, the Report Expert would be the easiest way to walk you through the process for accessing the database, selecting the tables, selecting the fields, grouping totaling, charting, and selection criteria.

Another great tool in getting to know the database is to create a duplicate report from an existing non-Crystal report. It will also make you aware of the different sections on a report (i.e. Report Headers and Footers, Page Header and Footer, Group Header and Footer, and of course the detail section) since each one has a specific role depending on your expected output.

Then if you get stuck, bring it to the forum and there are many that will jump in and help. Just remember to include the info from above.

I usually start mine off with

Crystal 8.5
Oracle 8i using Oracle ODBC Driver
Sample Data
Expected Output

If you are having problems with formula's, then post them as well.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to get the Complete Reference for your version and comes with a CD (at least my 8.5 did).

-larry

As wichitakid said, trial-and-error is the best method. Do a few reports that test what crystal can do, without regard for whether anyone needs it. And if you work with experienced Crystal programmers, you can ask them when you get stuck.

Also browse the forums, especially You'll find people suggesting methods you didn't know about and can adapt to your own needs.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

There are lots of great resources, but to really shine in Business Intelligence, understanding databases is critical, so I'd suggest starting there.

-k

Try going and taking the Crystal Reports classes offered at an Authorized Training Education Center (ATEC) and see what is available. I took lvl 1 and 2 of CR and boy did it help getting to know the user interface of CR dev. After that, it's alil easier to use in terms of functionality. Figuring out the databases, formulas, view, and queries in sql take alil research on your part.

-Mav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back