Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro777

MIS
Jul 14, 2006
US
Here is an old error but with a new twist.
I am trying to bring my company into the Realm of Windows XP from Windows 2000 as the higher ups do not want to go to Windows 7 as of yet... All of my applications but one works on Windows XP. Here is the twist, the application is a .bat file and all of my users have a shortcut link to the file and it was working just fine with Windows XP Service Pack 1...
Once upgraded to Service Pack 2 I received the above error message. I have checked the memory, tested on 3 different systems. Checked the event logs (System) and that popup error message is displayed as informational Event ID 26. I am not running a soundblaster card, my systems are Dell Optiplex 745s.
I have copied the .bat file locally to my system and get the same error message, went into properties and tried every setting for the compatibility modes.
I have Installed the MS Application Comp. Toolkit and tried multiple compatiblity settings using Qfixapp.
The last thing I have tried was to completely disable the DEP in the boot.ini by placing the /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF setting at the end of the Operating Systems Boot line

And... Last but not least, I tried to convert the .bat file to a .exe (Just in case it was file extension specific) and still no luck...... Whew !!!! Can you guys please help me??

Here is the .bat file syntax

@echo off

IF .%ICLUI_TRACE% == . set ICLUI_TRACE=ON
IF .%ICLUI_TRACETO% == . set ICLUI_TRACETO=OUT

@rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
@setlocal

set SMT_TEMP=e:\smart\data
IF NOT .%RATEWORK% == . set SMT_TEMP=%RATEWORK%

set ICLUI_TRACE=ON
set ICLUI_TRACETO=OUT
set ICLUI_TRACEFILE=%SMT_TEMP%\smart.log

@rem Test Env. Vars-----------------------------------------------------------
set PATH=g:\smart\dll;\\kasapp\common$\smtbin;%PATH%

@rem VARs for Perfromance Tracking
set SMT_SERVER=KSC
set SMT_TIMETRACE_DIR=\\kasapp\SmtPerf$

@rem VARs for Verint Timer
set SMT_VERINT_TIME=6000

@rem Switches for Prod environments (PROD, EDUC)
IF "%COMPUTERNAME%" == "WS3964" goto skipSPDefs
@set SMT_STORED_PROCEDURES_PROD=ON
@set SMT_STORED_PROCEDURES_EDUC=ON
:skipSPDefs
@set SMT_PROPERTY_CLUE_PROD=ON
@set SMT_PROPERTY_CLUE_EDUC=ON
@set SMT_PREISO_HOSTRATING_PROD=ON
@set SMT_PREISO_HOSTRATING_EDUC=ON
@set SMT_SUPPORT_TABLES_PROD=ON
@set SMT_SUPPORT_TABLES_EDUC=ON

@rem Switches for Test environments (DEVEL, MODEL, INTEGRATION etc.)
@set SMT_STORED_PROCEDURES_SYSTEST=ON
@set SMT_STORED_PROCEDURES_MODEL=ON
@set SMT_STORED_PROCEDURES_MODELX=ON
@set SMT_OOS_DEVEL=ON
@set SMT_OOS_MODEL=OFF
@set SMT_OOS_MODELX=OFF
@set SMT_1STEP_DEVEL=ON
@set SMT_1STEP_MODEL=OFF
@set SMT_1STEP_MODELX=OFF
@set SMT_PREISO_HOSTRATING_DEVEL=ON
@set SMT_PREISO_HOSTRATING_INTEGRAT=ON

g:
@IF EXIST g:\smart\dllP1\SmtPatch.run goto runP1

:runDefault
@echo Running code from Default area
cd \smart\dll
goto runSmart

:runP1
@echo Running code from PATCH1
set PATH=g:\smart\dll;%PATH%
cd \smart\dllP1
goto runSmart

:runSmart
@rem smart.exe
\\myserver\common\smtbin\smarterr.exe
smart.exe > %ICLUI_TRACEFILE%
goto end

:end
@endlocal

1. have you tried it with SP3?

2. update MDAC components, or reinstall it...
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1

3. check your permissions as to where the BAT file is located at (Folder permissions)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Yes I have updated to SP3 and all the latest patches, I am a Network Administrator so rights are good, along with I have Local admin rights on the system. It was running with SP1... I will check the MDAC, is that something that SP2 changes when installed ???

Thanks for the quick response !!!

I just installed MDAC 2.8 SP1 from your link and am still getting the same error. Any other possiblities ??

Thanks for your information Linney, I will check this as well, but the .bat file is on the local desktop with full rights for both me and authenticated users (Just in case), I am a local admin as well as a network admin, so all of the rights are in place.. This was working with no issues when it was Windows XP ServicePack 1, but stopped working with Service Pack 2. I thought, maybe the Service Pack 2 installation was corrupted, so I uninstalled it and my .bat file ran fine again.
I downloaded the whole Service Pack 2 file from microsoft just to make sure I could install it locally and as soon as it was applied, the .bat file failed to work again.

Have you tried running your .bat file from within a cmd window rather than directly from the desktop to see if there is any console output? Put a pause before smart.exe to see.

You are setting up a lot of environment variables and modifying the path - have you checked to make sure the environment is what you expect before the prog executes? You can put a set>set.txt before the pause and then open set.txt in notepad while it is paused to see.

Also at that time make sure you really have the access you expect to drives e: and g: and \\kasapp and \\myserver. You must be able to delete e:\smart\data\smart.log (or %RATEWORK%\smart.log if ratework was pre-defined in the system or user environment variables) if it exists and you need create permission in that folder.

The set path in :runP1 paragraph would seem to be extraneous; I think g:\smart\dll has already been placed at the front of the path previously. After that it cd's to dllp1, so I guess there are versions of smart.exe in g:\smart\dll and in g:\smart\dllP1, so it shouldn't make any difference as long as the rights are the same in both.
However if the one in dllP1 is being executed the path is still pointing to dll.

Is this a windows app or an older dos-mode program? If dos mode have you checked memory availability (mem /d) to make sure it is equivalent in size and type to what was available before?

Jock

Jock

JockMullin,
Thank you for all of your great input but unfortunately I have already tried the things you have recommended. As I have noted earlier in my the posts before. The .bat file works with No issues if it is only Windows XP SP1. I am an administrator with full rights to the network, the PC which also includes the rights on the drives as I did check them thanks to your post but still no luck, once Service Pack 2 is installed I receive the error message The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
This happens on both the network shortcut and the actual .bat file that I copied over to my desktop. I even tried to convert the file to a .exe file just to make sure it wasnt anything blocking .bat extensions and receive the same error. I was going to remove SP2 and then install all of the patches 3 at a time until my .bat file failed but Microsoft has removed the individual patches from their site, it is SP2 or nothing as far as I can find so far. Any other ideas ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back