Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The application explorer.exe failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005

Status
Not open for further replies.

monak11

MIS
Dec 25, 2005
US
After I log into my Windows XP Home Edition SP2 PC,the message, "The application explorer.exe failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate." pops-up. Then, my desktop and programs do not come up. I am not able to get to my desktop. I can do Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager and start a new task so that I can at least use my PC, but my PC doesn't work properly from the get-go. I have alot of information on the PC that I can't afford to lose, so I don't want to wipe-out the PC. All the information I find on the internet only tells me of the error but not how to fix it. I ran some updates but the system won't let me install all the updates. Do you know how I can fix this problem and why its happening? Thank You.
Norma

Saving your data.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

If you can't swap the hard drive into another machine there are these options.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD) which includes virus scanners via plugins.

The same might be possible with a parallel install of XP.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs just some virus scanners, keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

This may not work, but before reformating, as a last resort, it's certainly worth a try. Start the Recovery Console & rename the C:/Windows/System32/wininet.dll file to wininet.old. Then, without restarting, immediately extract a new copy from your installation cd using the command: expand D:\i386\WININET.DL_ C:\Windows\System32 (replace "D:\i386" with the path to your installation media as appropriate) Reference for Recovery Console info

But, if it doesn't work, the in-place upgrade (reinstallation) that linney referenced should work

I have a similar problem and cannot resolve it. After downloading Windows Updates my PC will now not work. I get the message (Ox00000022)explorer.exe won't initialize.

I have tried to launch system restore but it won't launch, I've tried it in Sfae Mode but am told there are no Restore Points available.

This is driving me mad, is there a fix for this.

I can't beleive Microsoft are so irresponsible, this is the 2nd time in a month i've had these sort of problems following updates, but last time i was abl to restore.

Any help gratefully received.

Jon

You can try this, if it fails, then you may have to do the in-place upgrade/repair, even with the following article some updates may have to be replaced.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Also check these.

Q310405 - How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back