Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The ai window disapeared...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefaste

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
FR
Hello, Im still quite noob with Illustrator. Something strange happened after a crash. I'm using Illustrator 10 on windows 98.

So now when I open the file I've been working on for a few days, the window displaying the document doesn't appear, I just have the gray background. Everything else works : I can use the layers palette, apply filters, use keyboard shortcuts, save the file... But I can't see the document nor click on it.

It happens only with this specific document, the other ai files display correctly. I tried reinstalling Illustrator with no success. I know my document is still there : I can see the preview in the open dialog.

Have you had similar problems ? Hope you can help...

Ok, I've finally solved my problem, by manually copying the layers one by one to a new document...

In case this happens to someone else : make just one layer visible, select all, copy, then paste in a new layer in the new document.

Then I had to realign the layers properly, but it was still easier than starting my work again from scratch :)

I still have no clue about what happened though...

Ne:

For future reference, you can copy and paste layers and have them arrive in place by checking the option "Paste Remembers Layers" from the Layer palette flyout.

Bert

Yay! Good tip, thanks. (Some of my layers were still not aligned so it was useful anyway.)

Ne:

One thing, though, don't forget to turn the option back off when you're done, otherwise odd stuff happens when you're copying/pasting any new art onto different layers (it won't let you, because it remembers the originating layer and that's where it wants to paste).

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back