Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The 64 bit future - a mixed bag???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
I've been planning on geting a new system around the end of this year - a very high end desktop.

I don't play games, and probably the only software that I use that can really make use of many of the "new featurers" in the new CPU's, and expected new Windows versions is Photoshop CS.

I plan on getting at least 2 GB of RAM, and at least 3 physical, large hard drives, along with a top end video card, and all the usual bells and whilstles

But, I'm getting concerned about the following

A new 64 bit Windows version will need all new drivers for everything on my system - and that includes 6 printers, 3 scanners, and a bunch of other stuff such as my Wacom tablet, card readers, numerous USB drives et al. While it's probable that the USB drives will work with the system directly, the generic drivers are usually the pits. And since the scanner was less then 3 years old when I first got XP, Canon USA never wrote any drivers for it. So I don't stand a prayer on that. I finally found XP drivers on the Canon Euro site,but that won't happen again in this situation.

Even if the manufacturers do start to write new 64 bit drivers, it'll be a long slow process, and they'll surely not write them for devices that are say 4 years old.

And, I still have several important utilities that were originally written for Windows 3.1, so they are 16 bit programs, and won't run at all under the new 64 bit OS, as MS has stated that only 32 and 64 bit programs will be supported.

The bottom line here is that I'll be very reluctant to give myself all the headaches that the "new and improved" 64 bit hardware and software can offer.

I'll have to decide between the 3 options below

A. Buy my new system with a 32 bit OS such as the lastest version of XP Professional (will MS still offer 32 bit versions of Windows? I would think they'd have to)

B. Set the system up as a dual boot system, with separate physical drives dedicated to a 32 bit OS, and a 64 bit OS

C. Go for the new all new 64 bit OS only, and suffer through the lack of drivers et al, and lose some of my hardware and software

Does anyone have any good words of wisdom on all this?

Ron Hirsch

Ron,

I think you've highlighted what will become common issues over the next year or two - and unfortunately there won't be a neat solution. Everyone will have to take a view, and configure their systems as best they can.

There's at least one option you haven't mentioned. Keep a 32 bit machine running XP with your utilities etc and your devices connected. Network this to your new machine so you can easily access it (with remote desktop you could have both at once).

PS. Next version of windows (longhorn) is currently supposed to be released in 32 and 64 bit versions.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I neglected to mention that I will indeed still have several of my "older" 32 bit machines set up which I could use for some of the things that the 64 bit systems won't handle.

But, considering that they will not be in the same room, or convenient to the main hardware, having to hop around to different machines is a PITA that I'd prefer to avoid.

I'm a very organized person, and I'd like to have everything at my fingertips to make things easier. It's beginning to look like a dual boot system may be the best way to go.

What is still fuzzy in my view is using a 32 bit XP system in a new 64 bit CPU, mobo et al. But maybe this will clarify itself as the months pass.

I'm strictly a "personal" user. In the world of business, I can see lots of problems with large networks where the network is a 32 bit structure, and the new "stuff" is 64 bit. This would seem to say that MS will still have 32 bit OS systems available. The world is not going to change over that fast.

Ron Hirsch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back