Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

That Mail app (and notifications) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Now email is quite important to me so:-
1. How do I stop my W10 machine automatically picking up my mail? I only need to send from that PC I want the W7 machine to do all the picking up but I can't see any way to stop it?

2. Now and this is very annoying. When W10 Mail picks up mail they get listed in the notification side bar. Fair enough
But then if you click on a mail in the notification area, the whole area is cleared and only the mail you click on opens in the mail app, all the rest are Gone, as in completely no matter how important they were gone!
Grrr oh and Google hasn't helped here.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain
That's just perfectly normal Paranoia everyone in the universe has that: Slartibartfast

<ahem> In my opinion the Windows 10 email client, whilst a step up from the one that shipped with Windows 8 and 8.1, is still a work-in-progress (it always surprises me that MS sometimes manage to go backwards). Frankly, I'd revert to Windows Live Mail from Windows Live Essentials.

Cheers Mike I will give it a try..

That's just perfectly normal Paranoia everyone in the universe has that: Slartibartfast

Thunderbird for email?!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Good point. Should have said "Other email clients are available" :)

There is a list of alternative email clients for Windows in thread1726-1752232

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I have a customer that is still using Eudora!! Won't switch off.

Chris' list is for Windows 7. Whilst they'll probably work with W10, here's a list of some known to be W10 compatible, and with thumbnail reviews

I already use Live mail on the W7 Machine. So its the devil I know and never gives me any problems, and is the same under W10. cheers Mike.
You have to do the Power shell thing to get rid of the W10 Mail App.
Instructions here:- Also to get rid (sort of) of other bloatware

I have found eM Client to be pretty good in Windows 10. Works fine with Gmail, Icloud, and others. Much faster than the native mail apps and (shudder) Outlook.

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

What do people have against Outlook?? I mean if you look at Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Windows Essentials, Thunderbird, Incredimail, even Eudora, they're all different looking/functioning. But people always seem to pick on Outlook. I don't use Outlook, but just curious.

Outlook (with Gmail) is slow as a tortoise on tranquilizers.

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

goombawaho said:
What do people have against Outlook??

Made by Micro$oft
Proprietary data files.
A real PITA if when it 'breaks'.
Obscure error messages that tell one nothing about what may have gone wrong.
About as 'secure' as a four foot square "cat flap".

Is five enough to be going on with? [bigsmile]

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

>Made by Micro$oft

That's just bigotry in action

>Proprietary data files.

Personal Storage Table (.pst) is an open format - proprietary, yes, but open (and does "not require the use of Microsoft programming tools or programming environments in order for you to develop an implementation"). The emClient advised above, on the other hand, uses a closed proprietary format. As does Incredimail (using an 'enhanced' version of the mbox format), and various other clients.

>A real PITA if when it 'breaks'.

I think we could say the same about any mail client

>Obscure error messages that tell one nothing about what may have gone wrong

Perhaps you could give an example

>About as 'secure' as a four foot square "cat flap".

Perhaps you could expand on that. Secure in what sense?

I shouldn't have changed the direction of the thread and opened can of worms, but I would agree with strongm. Seems like all email programs are fine until they're not and then you have a real problem. Like I've never had a problem with Thunderbird but I wouldn't know where to start if a problem happened.

>Made by Micro$oft

That's just bigotry in action

Yeah, you're probably right, I've obviously become far to used to applications that just work and keep on working, running on an operating system that also just works and keeps right on working :)

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

What's going on? Between this thread and the "Windows 10 is a government spying enterprise" thread, everybody is cranky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back