Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tftp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctech64

Technical User
Jul 16, 2009
US
Hello all;
I'm trying to save a flash file to my tftp server ( my pc )
I can't and I know I'm missing some settings somewhere.
Help is much apreciated;
I included an output copied from my terminal window;

3640_1>enable
Password:
3640_1#copy flash: tftp

System flash directory:
File Length Name/status
1 3867144 c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P
2 6313416 c3640-i-mz.122-34.bin
[10180688 bytes used, 6596528 available, 16777216 total]
Address or name of remote host [192.168.0.199]?
Source file name? c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P
Destination file name [c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P]?
Verifying checksum for 'c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P' (file # 1)... OK
Copy 'c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P' from Flash to server
as 'c3640-ds-mz.112-16.P'? [yes/no]yes
TFTP to 192.168.0.199 failed/aborted

3640_1#

Is your TFTP client seeing the incoming connection startup at all?
You don't have Windows firewall on?

I've been trying to figure that out; I have tftp32 the firewall on my Os ( win Vista Ultimate ) have exeption set for this program I still got same issue

look at the logs on the tftpd32 app. might give you some help in figuring it out... how are you connected to the router? if you are connected directly to the ethernet port on the router, make sure you are using a crossover cable.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

sorry guys still the same; I deactivated firewall just in case.
I tried usind ping from CMD prompt and it returns a message saying "ping is not a recognized command" I made sure I'm the administrator using the "run as administrator", still same.
I downloaded Cisco Configuration Manager and trying to discover my main router in my lab it returns a message to check the https settings ( there is a problem there)
I don't know what else to do;
I want to get access to a good tftp program that will work in my mac book pro; it gives me way less problems than windows!!

If you can't ping your router from your laptop, how about you console onto the router and try to ping your laptop from your router instead?

I can't ping anything from my Windows Pc; everything actually works from my mac; I just don't have a tftp program for it; I need the program in windows to work and it just doesn't as far as settings all seems to be ok but I must be missing something; Windows Vista Ultimete ( refers probably to ultimate head aches?)I actually like windows but got to admit mac doesn't gives so much problems; I can take my laptop anywhere and get into my lab in no time; not same with windows.

have you checked your TCP settings on the laptop? Just making sure you are on the same device, also... if you are in the command prompt on your Vista machine, you should be able to ping.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I bought a PC with Vista on it 3 weeks ago and it pings just fine, so I'm pretty sure you can't blame Windows for your problems.

If you intend any sort of career involving networking you will need to be able to setup a PC and a router to be able to ping each other. In your sleep.

the problem is with windows not with mac.
can't ping from the comand prompt in windows; my guess is one of those really easy settings in windows that I can't think of; if you read the first post again, that's all I got, it is frustrating no amount of google gives a solution

How about you go
start
run
appwiz.cpl

and go to the bit about "add/remove windows components"?

Also - can you ping your PC from the router?

yes Vince; you're right that's what I'm trying to do! lol

OK, so if the router can ping your PC it can TFTP to it, so long as you disable the Windows firewall first.

that is logic but instead it shows what I post at the beginning of this thread and why I'm asking for help it seems you know what i know, I have to be doing something out of place or not doing something but the problem and question remains

ok this is what I'm trying to do once more;
I want to save the start config and the IOS of 16 devices to my pc.
I do have an access server set up with ip address that can ping the pc.
When I use the commands posted to save files to the tftp the shown post is what i get; if this is not a windows problem or windows setting problems of some sort I don't knoe what it is. I'm just an aspiring IT guy, not Bill Gates, lol
any help on something I don't know is welcome; any criticism in something I know it is welcome as well; i just want to find out what is needed to be done and posible learn something new I just seems not to know, if that is ok.
Thanks for all the replies in advance and for reading and trying to stick with me.

oh I forgot to mention this file i'm trying to copy from my 3640 to tftp; the connection from the 3640 to the server is through console cable like this;
3640> console cable> accessserver(2511RJ)> ethernet> dlink home router> PC(192.168.0.199)
There are not interfaces set on my lab rack just yet exept for the one connected to my home router; like i mention before nothing seems wrong with the home router itself.
Any ideas?

OK, now I'm I'm really curious - how on earth can your router ping your PC through a console cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back