Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tftp functionality on a SUN Sparc 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 1999
US
How can I get the tftp function to respond correctly? I have uncommented the line in the /etc/inetd.conf file. I have made the directory /tftpboot, I have restarted inedt-pid. whenever I try to verify that tftp is working correctly several things don't match the documentation from sun. when I enter tftp I get the (tftp>)entry.Does this indicate that tftp is working correctly? all the get or put commands timeout. Whenever I do a netstat -a tftp always indicates IDLE.There is a command Netstat -a ¦ grep ftfp which I have entered and the results are ( *.tftp Idle) some documents I have found indicate that I need to have the following output ( udp 0 0 *.tftp *.*) Is this indicating that the tftp and the udp are not communication? I also haven't been able to download a flash file from a cisco router to the SUN tftp utility. This function, when you do a trace indicates sending RRQ's but I never get any type of responce and the whole thing times out.Thanks for your time.

What are you trying to use tftp for? A network boot or jumpstart?

If this is just to transfer files in multi-user mode, I recommend just using ftp.

If this is for jumpstart, ensure that the boot server has the client's info (ethernet address machine name) in /etc/ethers.

In addition, you need to do an add_install_client (or equivalent for network boot), which will then populate the /tftpboot directory I believe. It's been a couple of years since I've done this, so this may be *slightly* inaccurate.

Check out the Solaris CD under /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris8/tools to place the boot image on the server. It also has the add_install_client script there as well.

Good luck!

--Avardan

LOL...I just saw the date of the original post...
*sigh*

--Avardan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back