Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP from PIX box to server not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
Hi there,

I am running Solar Winds' TFTP server on a W2K3 box in our domain. I can TFTP to and from all our routers and switches (2600's and 3500's). When I try to write net from our PIX box (515) it time's out with a connect error and the file transferred is 0 bytes. I can ping the TFTP server from the PIX just fine, they are on the same subnet.

The PIX is not yet operational (still setting up) and the TFTP is on the inside interface. I have the default allows for inside, as well as a conduit for ping (for testing).

Does a PIX need something different for TFTP?

TIA.

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

Have you assigned an IP address on the inside interface yet?
That will need to be on the same subnet as the tftp server (I forget the way to do it on a different subnet)?

Also, I recall that the pix device manager had a copy config or image to tftp option that you can try if the command line is failing.

Yes, I have asigned an IP to the inside interface and the TFTP server is on the same subnet.

Here's what I have; Both the TFTP server (W2K3 server) and the inside interface of the PIX (515) are plugged in to a RJ45 blade on a cisco 6509. PIX is 10.4.99.16/24 and the W2K3 server is 10.4.99.190/24. The 6509 is 10.4.99.1. I can ping the TFTP server from the PIX and vice-versa. TFTP server shows in the PIX arp table.

When I use the CLI (or the PIX PDM) to write the config to TFTP it times out after about 5 seconds. TFTP server log shows "receiving pix-cfg from 10.4.99.16" then shows "Timed out" on the next line.

Its driving me nuts. Is there some kind of security "handshake" that might be the problem?

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

Just for testing purposes, have you tried to use a different TFTP server? I experienced some problems with a TFTP server yonks ago, but using a different TFTP server solved the problem. Currently I use TFTPD32 it's really easy and small and most importantly it has never let me down.

Well, I tried the same TFTP server but running on a different machine. It worked fine on a WindowsXP workstation.

So now I am down to either W2K3, or the fact that the W2K3 is multi-homed (although I am pointing at a specific NIC by IP addy).

I will continue to troubleshoot and post my results.

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

I enabled load balancing on the NICs on the W2K3 server and was successful in getting a config file to transfer to the original TFTP server.

I don't heve time to disble it and see if it is "broken" again but I think that was the issue.

Thanks guys.

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back