Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP for IP phones in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

shodgeman

Technical User
Apr 13, 2011
US
Hi folks,

In the past I have always used my Windows XP laptop PC for one-off phone upgrades - specifically from time to time I need to upgrade a 46xx or 56xx phone from standard load to the VPN load.

I have a new Windows 7 (64-bit) PC, and no matter what I try I can't get TFTP working for this thing! I've tried TFTP service via Manager, CiskoKits, TFTPD64, Avaya MV-iptel server, C3daemon... all with same results. Phone reports "file not found" and there is no sign within the TFTP server of any file request.

Windows firewall is turned OFF. Port scan shows nothing running on port 69.

Any ideas??

- Sam H

By default this and telnet is turned off on Windows 7
To enable it, open Control Panel > Programs and Features > click Turn Windows features on or off in left side > enable Client Telnet and Client TFTP then click in OK.

But the 46xx and the 56xx can also do HTTP!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

OK I turned off User Account Control... also enabled the TFTP client as suggested... still no dice.

Oh and BTW I tried using HTTP... I see the HTTP 'gets' the VPN upgrade file but for some reason the phone doesn't proceed to download and apply it. I may have to change focus from TFTP to HTTP... but really I need TFTP WORKING on this PC, after all it is needed for more than just phones. (Avaya gateways, Cisco routers, etc.)

I think I'd better hold off for the moment on WHTFTP... the install routing insists i install .NET 1.1x... I have .NET installed with 3.5 sp2, and 1.1x is not even supposed to be compatible with Windows 7.

If I get more desperate I may try that again.

In any case, it seems unlikely to be a problem with a specific TFTP program, but rather with the OS or somesuch... even with my bad luck it would seem unlikely I would choose 5 TFTP programs in a row that "just happened" to have an application-level issue preventing this from working.

OK same results with WHTFTP *and* with SolarWinds TFTP. That makes SEVEN different servers.

So I'm going out on a limb here and say I'll just be wasting time trying any additional TFTP servers.

What anti virus do you use?
McAfee is known for these kind of problems.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

OK I'm using AVG free version.
Trying to figure out right now how to shut if off short of an uninstall.

I used MSCONFIG to disable startup of all AVG services (and a bunch of other things like iTunes, Realplayer, Acrobat, etc. everything I felt safe in disabling)

No change.

Perhaps a post in a windows based forum may be beneficial, they probably have more to offer than our guesses :)

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back