Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textboxes same on lots of reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel30

Programmer
Mar 1, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have lots of textboxes with general words and information on that are the same on lots of reports when I have to change the text I have to open all the reports and edit them manually. Is there anyway I can keep these text boxes as objects and when I update the box it cascaddes down into the report.

I also have lots of formuala that are the same like
First Name and Surname is there anywhere I can keep these so I don't to create a new one for each report I can just drag them from somewhere and add to different reports.

Any advice I would be greatfull. Thanks

It depends what version of Crystal you are using. If you are using Crystal 9 and above you can add the text box with text into the Repository, this will allow you then just to make 1 change to the text box and then when the other reports are opened the changes you have made will automatically be picked up.

There are a couple of settings which you need to make sure you have selected and these are found in File>> Options>> Reporting>> Update connected Repository Objects on open and also check the one above it.

As for formulas you can copy and paste formulas between reports which is probably the easiest way, the other way is to create a custom function to hande the formula but you would still have to select the firstname and surname from the list as the custom function uses variables instead of field (you can't save fields within a custom function) and then you replace the variables with the field of your choice.

HTH

-Steve

"if at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you"!!! :eek:)

Steve,

I am using version 11.

When I try to add to the repository I get an error messgae saying there is no Central Magement Server Running.

How do I set up a repository. Cheers Rachel

Sorry forgot to mention that for you to be able to access the repository you will need to have Enterprise installed somewhere. Have you got Crystal Enterprise?

-Steve

"if at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you"!!! :eek:)

Hi,

I have crystal reports and crystal reports server which I have installed on the server and on my pc. No I don't think it comes with the software installation disks does that sound right to you ? Cheers Rachel

Crystal Report Server XI is like Crystal Enterprise lite.
It DOES contain a repository that you can use.
Likely Crystal Reports Server is installed on a server machine.
When you're asked to log into the CMS, you'll use the server machine's anme as the CMS name.
The default username is administrator and the default password for administrator is blank.
You can store Text Objects, Bitmap Images and Command Files (SQL statements) in the repository.

Bob Suruncle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back