Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textbox truncates the text 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2001
US
I have an access textbox displaying a sql server field (varchar, 8000). My problem is that the form would only show 4000 characters and truncate the rest. It saves all the comments but displays only 4000.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I do have exactly the same problem in my Access application.(Project with SQL Server 2000 back end)
I'm using Access 2000 and I have questioned myself if

a) is it a Bug in Access 2000 only or is there the same phenomen in other Access versions ?

b) Is it because : 'Microsoft Office is based on the Unicode text encoding standard, which allows Office programs to display documents correctly, no matter what language they are written in, provided the operating system supports the characters specific to that language.' as mentioned in the help file ?

If b) is the solution, why does it not truncate the text in one textbox only when this textbox exceeds 4000 characters, but apparently makes the sum of all the characters in the entire form and when this sum exceeds 4000, the text is truncated only in the textbox that has been latest changed.

Has anyone a solution for this problem ?

Thanks,

Johanap

I have the same problem.

Access 2002 SP3 ADP file, SQL 2000 backend
Simple test table with a primary key ( int )
and one varchar( 6000 ) field.

I put in 5000 characters of test data in the varchar field and then run a query from the access adp with 2 columns ( the test varchar column and a len column)

the len column shows 5000 characters but the test data column shows only the first 4000 characters. This makes me think it is a problem related to the oledb driver. Maybe has something to do with the network library setting.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

~~ C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back