Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Outline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBell99

Programmer
May 28, 2001
US
how do i put a smooth outline around my text and images without drawing it myself? For example....I want to have black text with a white outline and then a greyish figure of a person with a white outline....how can i do that easier than drawing it?

If you CTRL click the layer that your text/images are on, this will give you a selection around your image/text. Goto Edit - Stroke and apply the stroke you want. For text, you may have to render/(rasterize in PS6) the layer first. You can also create your outlines on another layer if you wish. After CTRL clicking the layer with your image and you have your selection, click on the new layer button and apply your stroke there.

Hope this helps roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

If I should follow up on Rodas answer, I would suggest you to try adding “Effects” to your layer. This function comes with PS 5 and PS 6.
Right-click at your layer (in the layer-window) and a dropdown-menu appears.
Select “Effects” and a dialogbox appears.
The first effect that is sown in this dialog box, is “Drop Shadow”. Ensure that this Effect is turned off.
Chose “Outer glow” in the listbox and turn it on.

I use Effects almost every time I add some text to an image. With some Shadows and Outer glow, the text appears so no one misses my messages.

With Regards from KBBJ (-:

DOH!! Of course - I forgot you can do out lines and everything with Layer FX. Sorry JBell99 for leading you of on the scenic route....... roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

Thanks a bunch KBBJ for the tip. That was extremely useful.....so I had to vote for you as tip master of the week, and roda..it's ok, i read all of these at the same time. Thanks you guys(and gals)!

Oh yes.....the days without my contacts.....Hotoshop lives!!!!! I forgot all about mispelling that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back