Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text or image editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcreach

Technical User
Sep 17, 2006
US
Is it possible to remove text or image from a video or would a "blur" need to be added to it? If I need to blur it, is it possible to do so with minimal pixalation of the area? Sorry I am new to Premiere.

The simplest solution is to crop it out by using image pan or motion. This is only useful if you're trying to get rid of something near an edge.

Basically what you're asking might be the same sort of question as "How do I get rid of watermarking?" which is, ah, nontrivial.

If the text is over active central video, then you will have to be quite amazingly skilled to pull it out and replace it with video, without making it look dorky.

However, a lot can depend on what you're covering up with your text. If, say, the text is on a flat object (say, a warning sign you want to eliminate), then you might have better luck.

So, the short answer is "it depends."

The easy answer is to contact the people who gave you the footage and ask for a version without the graphics.

Explain the issue in more detail, please.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

I am trying to remove a date (white static text)from an old family video. I could crop the video but I didn't want to loose anything in the video.

Well, you've basically got four choices:

[ol]
[li]Decide it doesn't matter and live with the digital stuff.[/li]
[li]Crop it anyway.[/li]
[li]On each frame, redraw the stuff behind the lettering by hand[/li]
[li]Do a sort of cloning-of-adjacent-pixels.[/li]
[/ol]

The advantages and disadvantages are as follows:
[ol]
[li]Super easy[/li]
[li]Super easy, but you lose a little video information. VHS is not famous for having lots of extra video information[/li]
[li]Probably your best bet to accurately reproduce whatever you think might behind those letters. On the downside, see you next year.[/li]
[li]Might be tricky, and will take some brain-time, but will produce something where the effect might not be too ugly or weird[/li]
[/ol]

If you usually have something boring behind those numbers, you can probably rotoscope it out (option 3) without lots of trouble, although it'll look crappy on occasion.

If those numbers are right where Important Stuff is happening such that cropping the frame will remove Important Information, then, unless you are a True Rotoscope Wizard, yuo either are giong to have to live with the numbers, or live with a weird glitchy piece of video where the numbers used to be.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Here's a novel solution:

Put black bars on top o your video enough to cover the text, on top AND the bottom. Tell people it's "widescreen."

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back