Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text only email 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreenhouse

Technical User
Feb 20, 2000
CA
Hi Folks

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask in, but I thought I'd try. I've made an email newsletter that is a multipart MIME email. I want to test out how it looks on a text only email client, but can't figure out how to configure any of the ones I have (Outlook and Netscape Messenger) to do this, and can't find a text only email client to download. I tried Pine, but it shows a pared down version of the HTML, complete with links and everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

It's kinda the other way around.... it's the SENDER that determines what to send - text only, text & html, or html only. The receiving email client has no provision for parsing the email and will read whatever is sent.

In order to have it bothe ways, you'll have to create 2 newsletters, one in text only and the other in HTML.

There's always a better way...

Hi tviman

It can be done that way, but most email clients that read HTML can read a Multipart/MIME message and ignore the text only part. Viewers whose clients can't read HTML only recognize the text (or at least see it at the top of their screen if you've done it right).

Regardless - I still need to find a way to test this (or test the way you're suggesting). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

Change your Outlook email to send in plain text. Tools - Options - Send. Then send the email to yourself in the HTML format. You will still receive the email in HTML format but when you reply, it will show the reply in plain text. This will give you an idea of how it will look.

Hope this helps.

Actually...it doesn't seem to work...I've sent it to Netscape and back to Outlook, and each time it displays (perfectly) as HTML...I'll have to look into this.

B

After you receive it in Outlook are you opening the email and then pressing reply as if you were going to respond to the email? If your Outlook email is set to send in plain text, the reply should be displayed in plain text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back