Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text on LAN Design, Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheradenine

Technical User
Feb 12, 2009
NZ
Hi there

I've inherited a LAN comprised of many /24 subnets that are mashed into one huge collision domain using a /16 subnet mask. As you can imagine, broadcast traffic is crippling the LAN, and the core switch CPU is running at 85-100 percent utilisation.

I'm looking for a text on best practice LAN design. We're a 3Com site, but I'm not looking for detail on how to do the switch configs, more a higher level design guide on best practice using proper routed /24 subnets and VLANs.

Can anyone recommend a book or online resource to help me redesign our LAN?

I guess a few basic poionters are:
- design a topology where you have a "core" and an "edge" with as little daisy-chained switches as you possibly can.

Assign VLANs to segregate traffic based on physical locations, ie, try to use as few VLANs as possible on each switch, and try to make each VLAN span as few switches as you sensibly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back