Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as Distinct????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaul125

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I'm using MS SQL Server 7 with PB 6.5 and I'm getting the following error when retrieving my datawindow:

Select error: The text, ntext or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.

Ond of the fields in the dw is of 'text' datatype.

My datawindow has multiple select statements using 'UNION' and none of the select statements is using the key word 'DISTINCT'. The datawindow is just a report, meaning its being used as a datawindow just to display results to the user. The user cannot update this datawindow.

Why am I getting this error and how do I fix it?

Keith

Hi,

Are any of the columns being retrieved of type text, ntext or image?
Do you get a different result if you specify
Code:
UNION ALL
?

Cheers.

Hi,

Ignore the previous post, I've just read your post correctly now. A basic
Code:
UNION
will perform a
Code:
DISTINCT
anyway, because by default the
Code:
UNION
operator returns the unique rows unless you specifiy
Code:
UNION ALL
. So the SQL is trying to do a unique operation on the text column and failing. You could get round this by casting (or
Code:
CONVERT
ing) the text column to a varchar or the like. Do you really need to return the text column at this stage? Will it be populated with an indeterminate length of text? PB allows you to define textual columns with a high character count (32000 characters or so I believe).

Cheers.

Thanks. I did a cast() function to convert it to a varchar and it eliminated this error. However, I get another error:

"select error: Data-conversion resulted in overflow"

Do you have any idea what this means and how to correct this?

Since this datawindow is used as a report for the user, I do need to return this "text" column for the user to see. When I export the datawindow, the column is specified as:

column=(type=char(32766)......

What do you mean by your question "Will it be populated with an indeterminate length of text?" Can you explain further?

Thanks,

keith

Hi,

Try specifying a length in your cast/convert.

What I meant was if you know for a fact that the users will only ever enter 2000 characters (or whatever) you could safely specify a limit on the conversion.

If none of this works you may need to use a composite datawindow, and retrieve the text field separately.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back