Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text missing when opening Quark 4.1 files in Quark 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhtech

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
We have experienced missing text when opening Quark 4.1 files that have been edited and saved with Quark 6.1. The fonts appear to be OK and the text boxes show an icon that text exists. We tried replacing fonts, saving as a Quark 5 file to no avail. Has anyone experienced this problem,and found a solution?

I can't find a solution either. Just to let you know you're not suffering alone.
Please let me know via mike@andrewsadvertising.com.au if you have any success. I don't wanna retype a 40 page catalogue...gawd.

I have read about this problem in another forum and this advice is only a work-around.

You can copy your 4.11 text and paste it in TextEdit <HD - Applications> and then copy it from TextEdit to 6.x.

I haven't experienced this issue however, so I know there must be a fix. Personally, I have found that doing a thumbnail drag to a new document or project cures many issues. You could also try creating a new doc in 4.11 and doing the thumbnail drag from the original 4.11 doc and then open that new doc in 6.x.

A solution? Quark 4 is not supposed to open documents created in Quark 6. Did someone tell you that it could? Is this in the documentation? How do you open newer documents with older software?

In Quark 6, you can save down to Quark 5. Open that file in Quark 5 and save down to 4.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Ooops, I just assumed that rhtech misspoke and was trying to figure out why text in a 4.11 doc wouldn't show-up when the doc was opened with 6.0.

I did mean that we were experiencing the missing text when taking a 4.11 file and trying to open it in Quark 6.0 or 6.1. I will try the thumbnail drag and also the suggestion of copying to TextEdit. Thanks for the feedback

While I have never experienced a document/project distortion resulting from a thumbnail drag, carefully checking the results after any major transformation (4.0 to 5.0 to 6.0, etc.) is always good advice.

Any luck on this one - beginning to plague us here...

We open up the 6.1 version (originally from 4.1 or earlier)and the text has just disappeared. Copying and pasting from the 6.1 doc into TextEdit doesn't give us the whole picture either...

I think there is a problem with 4.11 files in 6.0 or 6.1. We have had numerous 4.11 files that are opened in 6, edited, then saved as 6 files that would not reopen in 6 at all.

I encountered this problem with the following situation: I opened documents that were created in Quark 3.x, subsequently saved as Quark 4.x and/or Quark 5.x. I automatically did a collect for output and when prompted to save the file, I did so first. V 6.x was my only option for this. I then finished the collect for output. After it was done, and the file refreshed itself, all the text on the second page was lost as well as some graphics on first page (only a 2 page document).

I can recreate it again and again in the same circumstances, but I cannot duplicate any other time. Saved as Quark 6.x, thumbnail drag from Quark 5.x and then opened and saved in Quark 6.x, subsequently collecting for output or anything. All seems to work... except the situation described above... I will post back with any other problems found.

Had this problem when saving older quark files in 6.1 to a windows server. If that's the case, when first saving the file to 6.1, save to your desktop, the copy the file over to the server. Not too difficult a fix, but a pain in the butt the first time you come accross this.
Nyte

Quark 6.x cannot save down to Quark 4 it can only save down to version 5.

As a general rule when opening a legacy Quark doc in a new and improved version--ie., a Q4 doc in Q6 it is best to launch Q6 navigate to the legacy/standing Q3 or 4 Document. Now hold down the Option/Alt key (depending on platform) as you open the document, this forces the document to be 'rebuilt' using any new features such as tweaked H&J or graphics handling.

Caution text may reflow, graphics may move.
Problems have been encountered with older Type 1 fonts under both OSX and XP. Both OSX and XP now render fonts directly this function was co developed with Adobe, however as stated there are 'issues' with older Type 1 fonts.

Cheers
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back