Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text is out of line in PDF but fine in quark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabriel

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
GB
Just managed to get through the trial of saving as a PDF and now seem to have the problem that, in one or two text boxes, the text is extended past where the text box is on the page in the end PDF, meaning it ruins the look of the page

The wierd thing is there are a few other boxes on the page and they are fine, its only happening with a few of them.

Also, another problem that im sure is a simple one: when turning the document into a PDF it doest keep any of the font colour settings, they all seem to default to black for some reason...this is really hindering the look of the finished magazine and I need to get it sorted, any ideas?

Have a look at some of the PDF options. Where you find them depends on what version of Quark you have, and what method you're using to create PDFs.

The first thing to check is that fonts are being embedded. Secondly, make sure the color output options is set to composite rather than separations (unless your printer specifies otherwise). Other possible suspects would include TrueType fonts and styled fonts (ie. using Quark to make a font bold or italic rather than using a proper bold or italic version of the font).

Ok, using Quark 6.0 and found the PDF Export options fine. Text is being embedded, colour output is indeed set to composite.

About the True Type fonts though, I have used quark to make all fonts different colours and change them to bold and italic. I have done this throughout the document but for some unknown reason the fonts being out of line only occurs on one page in the entire document.

Also, the font colours are all set to black no matter what I do, this is a problem with the entire document in PDF form. If all of this does have anything to do with TrueType why would it only occur on this one page? And how would I fix it?

If it helps anyone the page that is going wrong is the first page made in this document, its one of the center spread. All other documents were copied and pasted into place. The trouble is the page next to it was also made at the vvery begining and not copied in.

This is starting to give me a headache :).

What printer description are you using to create the PDF?

Im just using the 'Export as PDF' option, the default printer is set to the virtual printer I made myself in order to be able to export the document. I set the printer drivers to Apple Laserwriter personal NT while installing it though.

Also, when I goto edit and colours in the menu it describes the colours in the window at the bottom as seperated, is this any baring on the colours used in the document or not?

I believe the Apple Laserwriter Personal is a black and white printer. This would explain your type coming out in just black. I don't know if using another printer description will help with the extended text though.
Dave

Tried another random printer discription when making another virtual printer and it didnt work. How would the pictures come out in colour and the text not? This is really strange, any ideas.

The text being out of line still isnt fixed either, its only on this one page! And the thing should go to the printers tomorow!

That is strange. I had installed the Laserwriter PPD and only had the options of grayscale or black and white. I'm not sure what other advice to offer you. If you would like, you could email me the particular pdf page to take a look at. Sorry for the lack of info.
Dave (ddubois@onewriteco.com)

Thanks onewrite, very nice offer, I have saved just the page that is having a problem, and sent it. The quotes in the main text are meant to be red, as is the headline. See if you can figure something, because im stumped...

Sabriel,

You need to make sure that the PostScript printer you are specifying is color (and as "onewrite" pointed out, the LaserWriter NT is not). Use Generic Color, if you don't know what else to use.

Regarding fonts... are you mixing TrueType and Type 1? Generally speaking, it is best to stick with either one or the other (not both). Type 1 is generally preferred if you are sending the file to a printer (but ask your printer - some will handle TrueType).

Are the fonts you are having trouble with fonts you bolded or italicized in Quark? Generally, it is best to use "helvetica italic" rather than choosing "helvetica" and clicking the italic button. Some printers may not recognize bolding or italic if done this way, and perhaps the LaserWriter NT is one of them.

Colors... what are the colors? Are they CMYK colors? If not, convert them. In general, the default colors in the Quark color list are for guides and registration marks... not for applying to text, etc. You should use either CMYK or spot (Pantone) color for this.

Hope you can use some of the above to troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back