Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text insert 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardii

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
GB
How can I insert a piece of text in different places on my web site, but if it changes, only need to update it in one place?

Thank you.

well then u have either a database from where these come

so when u update the database then it will automatically be updated

or u can do the same with a text file

but both these involve asp

I dont know if in javascript you can access text files otherwise you cound have used javascript

regards ::) Unicorn11
abhishek@tripmedia.com

[red]Luck is not chance, it's toil; fortune's expensive
smile is earned.[red]

Or you could use a Dreamweaver Library item. Enter your text on the first page you want it, then select Modify > Library > Add Object to Library .. enter a name for it and Dreamweaver creates the text as a library item. Then in subsequent pages choose Window > Library, choose the library item you created and click insert. If you create pages this way, then when you edit the library item Dreamweaver will go and change it wherever you inserted it in your pages. You can include anything, not just text, in the library item.

This works well enough but for complex sites you'd be better off generating the HTML dynamically on the server side, as recommended above. This involves learning a language like Java, PHP or ASP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back