Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text in ReportNet Crosstab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallina

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Hi,
I would like to display non numeric data in a Crosstab report, but ReportNet always displays '#!Error' whenever the measure is a string. We don't need to aggregate or calculate, it's really just for display. If I have a list of values I can get away with it by using conditional text. It's cumbersome but it works. However this is not a solution if the text can be anything. Is there anybody who has managed to achieve this?
Thanks,
Anna

Anna,

Try returning the non-numeric data using a text-friendly summary function, such as Min() or Max(). This should work fine.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Hi Dave,
I have dropped [MyData] into the middle of the Crosstab, then changed it to Max([MyData]) but it gives a 'General Error'. Is that what you meant?

Thanks,

Anna

Yep.

Sorry to hear it didn't work. I'll try to reproduce the problem here and see if I can work through a work-around. What is you database platform?

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Thanks Dave,

it's Oracle 9.2.

Anna

Anna,

I don't have access to CRN, but this approach works fine in Impromptu. I would ask Cognos if it is a bug.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back