Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Fuzzy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krissyd

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
US
Hello,

I am teaching myself Paint Shop Pro for my job. I need to make web graphics that have an image and text. My text always ends up looking blurry, even before I post it to the server, but then after it is on the web page it looks even more blurry. I am doing it as a vector layer and I am doing it in 72dpi (I also tried 300 dpi - same result) What do I not know? Please help, my job kind of depends on it. Thanks!

If you are doing it as a vector, right click the text layer, select properties, and play around with the thickness of the outline of the text.

It should improve the fineness of the text.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Can you tell me how I play around with the thickness? Is this the stroke width?

Yes, the stroke width. You can even take it of all together.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yeah, I have worked with that and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, they all fuzz out. Well, thanks for your help!

The only other thing that could be affecting it, is how you are saving the image. Maybe you are compressing them too much, and they loose quality.

Also maybe the font you are using, isn't that clear in smaller sizes.

I don't know about the compressing them thing, can you elaborate? thanks!

How are you saving the images? Try using the export feature, from the File menu. Maybe you can get better results from it.

Also if you could post a sample image, to better diagnose the problem it would be helpful.

Export is used, because it allows you to set the compression, amongst other settings. Save as will just use default values, that sometimes aren't that good. Also Export helps preserve transparencies in images that have them.

With that said, I don't really see the fuzziness you describe. They seem fine to me. Of course I'm looking at them in a laptop screen.

Hi! As I was having trouble with the same issue in Paint Shop pro This morning I found this conversation. I understand the frustration.
Solution: on the Materials pallet, take off the foreground; use the Background fill colour for the text. Further use the Kerning to sort out the spacing and then point size accordingly.
Hope this helps and is not too late.

The best thing I've found to help with this is work with LARGE files as your masters. Resize them down to the proper dimentions before you save-as a jpeg.

I work with master files that are at least 1500 pixels wide, saving them in the PSP format. But when I'm ready to publish them, I resize them down to 500 pixels and some even down to 200 pixels, then do a save-as to save as a jpeg. This leaves my master files LARGE and the resize function keeps the text and images crisp and clean.

Btw, I use PSP X.

I tried your method, ID Author. It actually seemed to make it worse for me, assuming I did it right. I just didn't choose an outline color on the pallet, I made it transparent or empty instead.

I will try your method lhuegele, thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back