Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Field Truncated 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

db1000

Programmer
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hi,

I have a problem with an actuate report. One of the sections of the report calls a stored proc that returns about 200 fields, one of which is a text field. In some instances the text field is abut 4000-5000 characters long and it gets truncated in the report right around the 4000 character mark. This only happens if the data comes from a stored proc and not directly from the table.

Are there any known size limitations on a field or variable in Actuate? Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks,
Dmitry

Maximum StringLength
String Variable
The maximum length of a table field. The maximum length is 32,672 characters.

The default value is 8,000 characters.

I would suggest there is a maximum value set in the stored procedure or the the default value has been changed.

If you click on data row editor, you can check what the field length from the stroed procedure is set to.

Thanks for your reply, ASG0856.

I tried changing the length to 32,672 and it still cuts it off at 4000 characters. I tried building a report from scratch, adding more text columns, and pulling directly from the table, and it still cuts off the text at exactly 4000 characters for each column.

Could this be some kind of limitation in Actuate?

I don't think that's you problem. As I stated in my 1st post, the default is 8000. So either, the default has been reset (there are a load of basic files on the c:\ drive where erdpro is installed), or there is a limitation in the stored procedure.
Having said that, 4000 characters is an awfully big field, nigh on a full A4 sheets worth.

That worked. The default in db.bas was set to 4000. I increased and recompiled and that fixed it.

Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back