Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text entry working fine on Macs but not IE for PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow38x

Technical User
May 28, 2001
US
We made some modifications to a website we had designed which included a survey. The survey html page did not change. However, after re-uploading the site, we find that we cannot enter text in the survey through IE 6 on the PC. Both Safari and IE on the Mac work fine. When clicking in a text entry field on the PC, the cursor bar flashes once, then disappears and no text is entered when typing. The survey has some checkboxes which work, and a reset which clears the check boxes fine; it's just that it won't accept text in the text entry fields. I tried reuploading the survey file (through Fetch on the Mac) with different options--raw data, text, etc., but to no avail.

Any suggestions? The website is dciincorporated.com and the survey button is down a little on the right hand side. Any help would be appreciated.

suggestion:[ol][li]View > Source[/li][li]Ctrl + A[/li][li]Ctrl + C[/li][li]In Tek-Tips: Ctrl + V[/li][li]Click "Submit Post"[/li][/ol]

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]tastes great, less filling.[/tt]

Problem line:
Code:
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" onBlur="self.focus()">
What you are saying here is: If you click anywhere else than body of the element, make the page automatically click back into the body area. Now, inputs are not considered body in IE, thus when you focus them (click on them), the focus is switched back to body. Try this:
Code:
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" [s][COLOR=red]onBlur="self.focus()"[/color][/s]>

ahh, didn't see the url, was looking for a colorful link.

interesting how strike-through is in black while the font is in red.

*cLFlaVA

Because I put it like this: [ignore]text[/ignore]. Strikethrough first, color later. Funny, I actually like the effect. :)

hint: you can make it red with shorthand as well: [ignore][red][/red][/ignore]

*cLFlaVA

Wow, you guys are fantastic! And fast! That fixed the problem, but leaves me pondering . . .

1. Why did it work previously? (I pulled our old file from the archive and it had the blur code line in it, too, and we hadn't updated this particular file). Is it possible that previous versions of Explorer just ignored that code, and the client just noticed it now because they have upgraded to a newer version of Explorer?

2. By removing that code, am I changing anything important or causing other problems?

Thanks again, folks.

John

The most common reason for people [tt]trying[/tt] to implement that code is to keep the browser window on top (in focus). Many people don't realize, however, that the code won't work - because as soon as a link or input field takes focus, the body will grab it back, disallowing any field entries, etc.

*cLFlaVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back