Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text editing in Windows 10---problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxprox26

Programmer
Jun 20, 2005
US
I'm moving some old Foxpro 2.6 DOS installations frm 32-bit Win7 to 32-bit Win10.

The transition has been quite smooth. The only weird thing is that text editing is messed up a bit. Basically if I use "modi comm" or edit text in the command box, my cursor will not stay where I place it initially. Like I said, it's weird! Whether I have INSERT on or off, the cursor will jump to the start of an earlier line.

I can fix this for modi comm by inserting

tedit=notepad

in the config.fp file. Then Foxpro will bring up Notepad as a text editor for modi comm. But this doesn' work for editing within the command box.

Thank God this bug does NOT occur in code.... any programs which call up text editing regions work fine.

Anyone else run into this and found a fix? It's a bug we can live with, just a bit annoying and inefficient.

Thanks for your time.

The usual culprit with a jumping-around cursor is a notebook's touch-pad that's a little too responsive to bumps, but that would affect all editing.

This is a new one on me.

Yeah, it's not a touchpad issue. This is a desktop and it only happens within the command box and within the default Foxpro text editor.

I'm trying to motivate some of our people to transition to Win10 and this will be one gripe they'll grab onto like grim death because most of them abhor change more than a vaccuum! ;)

Do you have a time frame for converting from FoxPro 2.6? Its last release was in 1994, over 20 years ago. No doubt it will function for many more years but installation and maintenance issues will not decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back