Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Drop Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohans

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
With a transparent background, I want to create a text image with a drop shadow that blends into the underlying background, but I'm getting a white edge to my drop shadow. How can I eliminate the white edge? There's also some white between a character (e.g., the interior of the letter 'M'.) How can I eliminate this? Thanks.

To have a really nice drop shadow on a purely transparent background is near enough as impossible; this is because the drop shadow, and similar effects, use 'partial transparency' to blend into the layer below. When you then export this to a gif, with a transparent background, teh partial transparency is lost. Hence it looks rather dodgy. This also applies to the anti-aliasing that you get from air-brushes, etc. The best way is to decide on the background colour for your overall image and export your text, with dropped shadow, on this colour.

However, if you must have it transparent, you can make it look slightly better by reducing the 'spread' of the drop shadow; this makes it look square/blocky at the edges but this removes the anti-alias problem.

Anyway, hope this is useful and I understood what you were asking.

=)

PetitPal

Make the background colour on the graphic the same as the background colour on your web page, When you save for the web in Photoshop, pick the background colour to be transparent. Now instead of the white edge around the shoadow, the edge will be the background colour, and will blend into the web page.

When I go to save for the web, the transparency box is unchecked and unhighlighted. How can I get it checked for transparency? Thanks.

P.S. Photoshop 6.0

are you saving as a gif? should be able to select it if it is being saved as a gif..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back