Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Disappears Win XP Quark 4 to 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal49

Technical User
Nov 12, 2003
US
Has anyone come up with a real solution to this problem?
(Original posts: thread260-781272)

We just upgraded to Win XP and Quark 6.5. We use Suitcase for font management. We print a monthly newsletter for a customer who uses Quark 4 and now I'm having a problem with text disappearing when I open their files with 6.5. I get this message: "This document was created with other versions of some fonts… It will be reflowed using this system's fonts and text runaround. [19]" Then about 1/2 the text disappears and won't display even if I stretch the box, set runaround to None, place it on top, etc. Thumbnail drag into a new document doesn't help. I'm using the fonts supplied by the customer. I checked all our fonts and disabled duplicate True Type fonts, leaving PS and Open Type active. I looked at the Quark website and they didn't give a real solution either. We don't use a server or anything like that.

We can't work in an older version of Quark and I wouldn't want to tell the customer that all of a sudden we can't work with their files…

TIA
Charlotte

An update for anyone watching this thread...

The missing font that was used in most of the file was PostScript Goudy. I found that Goudy is a Windows system font, so I made sure that there weren't any other versions of it active, which seems to have solved that problem. The PostScript version is working and I don't get the error message anymore when I open the file.

The other font I'm having trouble with is Saturday Sans ICG. It's active on the system and doesn't show as missing in Quark, but every text box that uses it is blank. I looked again at the system fonts and there doesn't appear to be a conflict there, and we don't have any other versions of the font on the computer. I installed it fresh from a disk and downloaded another version of it... no luck. When I double click on the font to see a preview, it's blank. I don't see the alphabet or paragraph or anything. So then I thought the customer was using an old version of the font probably on an old computer with Win 98 or 2000 or something. Turns out she's also running XP and it works on her computer. In order to get the job out, I had to substitute that particular font. I can't imagiine why it would work on hers but none of ours… Any ideas on this one?

Similar trouble here - if anyone knows - 'cept mine is with a mathtype font - everything is fine in ver's 4-5, it's just trying to open in 6 (which is what I want) that the math signs 'go away'. the type is still there, (you can switch fonts) it just doesn't show up to look at or print. Suggestions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back