Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text box Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR24

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
US
Is it possible to display a text box in the shape of an oval as opposed to the standard rectangle? I can't seem to find anything in the format editor that will allow me to change the shape. My users have requested an oval shape with conditional formatting to change the background color. I can handle the conditional formatting but have yet to find anything that will allow me to change the shape of the box.

I am using Crystal XI Developer version. Thanks.

Insert a box, instead of a text object. Then go to the rounding tab and adjust the rounding, and then back in the main screen, add the fill color.

-LB

lbass, thanks for the tip. This works great and gives me the shape that I want. Although, I don't see any option that will allow me to control the background color with conditional formatting. I have various score values that need to be compared to a goal table. My users would like the background color to change from green to yellow to red depending on this comparisson. I thought about layering 3 shapes with each color and conditionally suppressing them based on my condition but it doesn't look like you can do that either. Any ideas?

You could add three detail sections above the one containing your detail info, each containing a box with a specific color. Format each section to "underlay following sections", and then conditionally suppress each detail section a-c based on the value of the comparison.

-LB

Sorry, I should have clarified this. The values that I will be comparing to the goal table are in the GF3. There are 5 different values in all. Each value would be compared to a goal seperately. I don't think creating 3 levels (a,b,c) of GF3 and suppressing the GF3 levels based on a condition would work since there would be different combinations of background color. For example, I might need a background combination for a row as follows:

Value 1 = yellow, Values 2 & 3 = green, Value 4 = red, Value 5 = yellow.

You could do this by adding a subreport to the GF for each value where you follow the steps above. Not ideal, but if you want the rounded shape with conditional colors, I think that's what you are left with.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back