Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Box Limit in 2000 - am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danyul

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
AU
Hi All,

I have a table that records information on jobs that my business customers need completing. There are several fields of varying types in the table, including a memo field.

I am using a multicolumn list box on a form to display a number of these fields from each record - the intention is to provide enough information so that a team member can chose to select that job(or not).

One of the fields I need to display is the memo field.

I have bound a text box on the form to column(10) in the listbox, which in turn is bound to the memo field in the table via a query.

My textbox truncates at 255 chars. This is neater than returning this much info via the list box, but.....

How do I get the entire contents of the memo field onto the form?

(I can't seem to find a 'memo' control in the tool bar to drag and drop onto the form.)

I've seen this mentioned before in table design - where memo fields are available, but haven't seen a solution to put on a form.

Cheers

Dan

You need to use DlookUp rather than the memo column from the listbox, for example:

[tt]=DlookUp("MemoField","tblTable","ID=" & lstList)[/tt]

Some info - you can't find a memo control because there isn't one. If you create a textbox control and type in more the 255 characters, it'll take the properties of a memo data type.
I can't find this now, but I thought I read that you can't use memo fields in comboboxes. This would make sense since you can type up to 65,000 + characters in a memo field so displaying such a quantity for each record in a combobox wouldn't be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back