Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testking Exam Documents 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmateurMCP

Technical User
Feb 15, 2005
US
Has anyone successfully passed the exam just by using these documents ?, i am going through th MS-PRESS book for the server 2003 70-290 exam and it does not seem to give a lot of the theory ?

AmateurMCP,

In my opinion, anyone depending on braindump material exclusively is tossing a coin, at best.

Microsoft has announced that they will be making changes to the format of the 70-290 exam next month, and they probably routinely change some of the questions in the test question pool.

Not only does Test King NOT guarantee that you will pass, but it is unlikely that their material will help you as much as reading the MS Press books and doing the practice labs.

Are there specific things in the MS Press book for 70-290 that you think are not covered in enough detail?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I was thinking that there could be a section for TCP/IP and the information on IIS is a little on the light side !

Would this be enough for the exam (the section on IIS) ?

Regards,

Ian

AmateurMCP,
I took the 70-290 exam last friday. I read the sybex book and have been an 2000/2003 admin for a while....but i did read the tesking doc just to be prepared.

My test had 40 questions. 20 of them were on the tesking doc....the other 20 I had to answer by myself. I passed with an 812.

So to answer you question, reading testking will not give you all of the answers, but still may help.

Testking is good material ... if you know your stuff!
You should be familiar with the Microsoft/Sybex/Syngress-books, but the Testkings show you what kind of questions will be asked. Some will be somwehat the same, some will be quite different, if you know & understand what it's all about u'll pass any exam ;)

I took the 070-290 in January at Koenig in India they use testking there with teaching as well I only saw about 10 questions from the testking out of 40 questions. I failed with a score of 673 I am now using the MSPress books and I am finding info on all questions I came across.

My feelings..... you need to understand not just pass

I haven't seen recent TestKing material but they used to be purely braindumps, I they ARE the actual questions unlike Transcender/Self-Test which use similar format questions.

Maybe TestKing are more legitimate now but I certainly wouldn't admit to using them to help pass exams :p

From what I have seen TestKing are the actual questions that are set during the exam, if you use them, then your a cheat. Transcender questions are very accurate but are derived from the objectives of the exam.

AmateurMCP,

Going entirely from memory, I don't recall any questions focused on troubleshooting IIS in particular. The exam seemed to be focused more on troubleshooting DNS, DHCP, and CA's, but again this is from memory.

mattrgee,

While I respect your opinion that using Test King might be "cheating" in a sense, depending on Test King entirely for test preparation is cheating yourself.

Yes, you need to be answer the questions correctly for the exam, but you'll also need to know how things work on the job, which is more than memorizing answers to specific questions.

Wishdiak

Wishdiak,

I do see your point. When considering the cost to take the exams and buy training materials, some 'insurance' to make sure you actualy pass the tests is understandable. After all, who wants to spend loads of cash and get nothing for it? However, I do have some fears.

If you pass the exam, how do you know if it was the hours you spent studying that made you pass it, or the braindump?

What happens if your in the workplace and your presented with a problem that falls into a topic area that you relied on the braindump for? You may have studied the topic area but not enough, and it was only the braindump that helped you answer the corresponding questions. If this happens, you'll be stuck.

At the end of the day, if you know the subjects properly then you stand a good chance of passing the exam.

mattrgee,

I absolutely agree. On one of the MCSA exams that I'd recently passed (70-290 or 70-291, I can't remember), the instructor at school put a few dozen Test King questions on the overhead.

I was able to answer them accurately and explain why the incorrect choices were wrong.

While this same level of accuracy can be attained through studying the answers to specific questions, knowledge of the subject matter prepares you to answer the more important question:
the one you will one day get paid to answer :)

Wishdiak

Hi Guys,

I thought this was the case anyway, i would not rely totally one one set of training materials. I use the testking documents to see if i can answer the questions correctly after studying, i just wanted to know if anyone had passed using these to check their validity on the exam criteria.

Thanks,

Ian

During my time at uni I sat dozens of exams and did hours of revision. However, an important part of revision was reading through and answering previous exam papers. For each exam I would try and get hold of at least 5 previous exam papers and use my study materials to nail each question. It was no secret that there was a strong chance that the questions off previous exam papers would re-appear on the latest exam. Sure enough on the day of the exam you could guarantee that at least 4 questions out of 6 had been on previous exams, word for word. Because of the time I had spent on the previous exam papers I was able to answer the questions with ease.

It was likely that the questions would re-appear as the same topic areas (objectives) had been taught in previous years. The only gamble, was deciding which answers to memorise.

The only difference I see between the above example and using a 'product' such as TestKing is the type of answers you’re memorising. For instance, the uni exams required 1500 - 2000 words writing for each answer consisting of many facts and informative points. Whereas, for a Microsoft exam your only memorising a 'choice' typically only a single letter.

Despite their similarities, using previous exam papers is widely accepted and encouraged, while braindumps are frowned upon and considered by many to be illegal. In principle they are same. Even with a previous exam paper you still have to know your stuff, however, a braindump allows people to pass exams with knowing little or nothing about the actual subject area. This isn't right.

Should we blame the braindump? I think not. The design of Microsoft and similar exams make braindumps an efficient way to pass the exam without actually knowing the information. Microsoft's decision to re-design their exams is too little too late. Too many undeserving 'certified professionals' have already slipped through their figures bringing a bad name to us all.

mattrgee,

The way I see it...you are correct that the availability of braindumps (even if the answers are missing or incorrect) does lessen the quality of the certification over all, but...

An analogy I like is that of a driver's license. In the US, one needs to pass a written exam to get a learner's permit and then a road test to get a license.

Some of the certification exams are very much like the learner's permit. You can memorize questions and answers and probably pass on the first shot. It's the actual driving in an actual car on an actual road that earns you the actual license.

For MCSE 2003, there are design exams that I expect are harder to fake your way through, but even if you can fake it, doing the real job is a trial by fire. Either you can do it correctly, or you can't.

Anyone who gets an MCSE using braindumps will quickly find out how much they don't know the first time that something goes wrong that they have total responsibility for.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back