Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing secondary name server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom11011

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
I have a friend who lives in a different part of the country. We have agreed to host secondary nameservers for eachother.

How can I verify that he has in fact added a domain that I requested to his dns? Is there a nslookup switch or option that can check this?

Yes there is. Open CMD Prompt and type:
nslookup example.com His-ns.dnsserver.com

Example #1
nslookup elpasoportal.com ns.usasearch.org - The elpasoportal.com is one of my domains, the ns is one of my DNS servers

Example #2
nslookup elpasoportal.com ns1.swbell.com - The elpasoportal.com is one of my domains, the ns1 is one of my backup DNS servers

nslookup - space - then your domain - space - then yours dns server or your backup dns server name.

If your nslookup does not return an IP address. as instructed above, there is most likely a problem.

A great test site - go to and click on tools. This will help you troubleshoot DNS and other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back