Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing Prospective IT Technicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAudus

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
GB
Next Week,
I will be interviewing prospective IT Technicians,
for a position at our school.

I have been looking for a online technical quiz/test
I could set them, but have had no luck finding any.

The job is aimed at Higher Education/degree level applicants with very good knowledge of hardware fixing and general tech support.

Could anyone suggest any good test/quizzes out there on the net?

Thank you for any suggestions,

Steve Audus
Chaucer School
Sheffield UK

Sounds like you are going to have 100s of applicants that you need another test to weed out those with less experience !!

How many tests does some-one have to do to get a job with you? You could trust the existing certification processes. They are very extensive.

Surely you are looking at the practical experience they have as well.

And what about just if you like the person and think they will fit into your org?

Remember those that can "Ace" test after test will not always be the right personality for your organisation.

Zollo9999 [smile]

check out skilldrill.com

it's harder than the MCP tests, and if they pass they get a cert too. I think it's still free. I've got an ass load of certs from there.

Brandon
MCSA+MCP, A+

I have to be honest, my chance of choosing to work for an employer that makes you take a test at your interview is greatly diminished. My current job used that methodology, and I have to say after being here for almost 2 years now, the 'peers' that made me take the test knew very little about what they wanted. They just found some questions in a book they thought would be tough. Giving a test does nothing for you if it isn't tailored to what you need.

Example: One question was, What is the MHz rating of cat 5 cable? Are you kidding me? How many desktop level techs, or even network techs, have had to know this little tidbit in the course of your work?

Example 2: What are the two types of jumper settings you can choose on an IDE hard drive? And yes, they actually thought there were only 2.

When questions like this are asked, I ask myself questions, like do I really want to work for a place that out of touch?

The questions were issued by the company's network admin, and Senior Tech. (laff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back