Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

testing humm on pots line

Status
Not open for further replies.

vztech

Programmer
Jun 19, 2003
US
Can any tell me what a normal POTs line should read with a meter. I have an issue with multiple POT line's with a slight humm some worse that others.

or some way to confirm to the LEC that there is an issue

Thanks

It's only dialtone-VZ

Why troubleshoot it? Why not just call the LEC and report hum on the lines in question? As long as it's constant, they should have no problem isolating it. If the hum goes away when they disconnect the circuit at the dmarc, then it's time for you to start looking at the path of the riser cable and or the PBX grounding.

-CL

You should always check it at the dmarc yourself before calling the CO, why wait for them to come out to tell you the problem is on your end. not always the case but why not check yourself first before making a tech do your work for you? Always disconnect your equipment and find out before you call.

I have already disconnected phone system and confirmed trouble at D-Marc but LEC was already out to site once and problem still accures.That's why I would like to know if I should get a certain reading on a meter

It's only dialtone-VZ

If Telco is not dispaching for your trouble take the phone off hook report the problem.

When the auto tester tests the line is will show a ground. Field tech will have to be dispatched to repair the issue.

I can't imagine having a tech out to repair a problem and allowing them to leave before the problem has been repaired or has been definitively shown to be in my environment. Although it takes time away from other things, I ALWAYS baby-sit any outside vendors/techs when they are working in my facility.

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

I'm a Vendor not a babysitter :) But your correct if I was in house they wouldn't get out the door.

It's only dialtone-VZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back