Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing Disaster Recovery Plan for AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmark68

MIS
May 3, 2002
US
I'm trying to test recovering our network in case of a disaster. Right now I'm setting up a make shift network and trying to recovery one of the domain controllers. Everything seems to come back fine, I can get into AD, see users, computers accounts and also get into group policy. The problem I'm running into when I try to log into the domain. Says the computer account or password is not valid. But when I look the computer account is there.

Do I need to run something else to make the computer account active or something.

thanks in advance.

Mark

Is a global catalog (GC) present in the restored domain look in sites and services click on NTDS and select properties), and is DNS available in the restored network with a registered CNAME and GUID registered in the _msdcs area under your dns zone name for the server name. That's a mouth full. Servers find each other by looking in the _mscds area in DNS for a GUID when doing replication or other server to server communications, i.e. netlogon.

Also, Win2K Pro machines need the GC for logon, and will refuse logon even if you are trying to logon to a domain controller, unless you are the adminstrator account. Cached credentials on a work station work for logon as long as no domain controller is present or no GC and Domain Controller or present on the network. Put a Domain Controler in the mix and without a GC there will be no logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back