Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

test VPN laptop for Security flaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi,

i have this posted on the VPN forum but its getting little response and also falls under he category for this forum.
My other thread is here

basically, im after a way to test security on a laptop that we give to homeworkers. Not over a LAN but from the internet into a pc behind a NAT enabled firewall.

Thanks everyone,
Wazz

Shadow Security Scanner... check it out.. it scans port vulnerabilities. Hope that helps.

Chris Clancy, EnCE
Miles Technologies
clancy@4miles.com

Also keep in mind as to what the users will be able to do with these machines away from work. If they are able to use that laptop in an irresponsible way outside of the work enviornment and allow for open ports, unpached vulnerabilities, or getting malware, any attacker will be able to get into that machine, and if they are savvy, could enter your work network through a trusted connection (VPN).
As far as testing it, I usually use nessus to scan it, and go for an nmap after that to see what it will show.
Just use your best judgment as you would a work machine.
Assuming an XP Pro and domain environment, Group policy is your friend, and what i normally do is remind them (word for word) of that AUP they signed when joining the company. If you don't have one already, it's a great tool.

"you did what to my computer??..your fired"

Tyras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back