Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Server for GP 10 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I have a test server with Windows Server 2003. I first installed SQL 2000 and then installed GP 9.0. I opened GP Utilities and included new code. I did not proceed past logging in.

In Enterprise Manager I noticed there was no databases. Shouldn't a DYNAMICS db have been created? I manually created one and restored from a live server backup. I did the same for a company database.

But, now I cannot log into GP utilities.

I know I did something wrong because I am winging it and don't have a clue how to set this up. The test server was supposed to have this all ready but that person left it and went on vacation!

So, I have to complete the test upgrade by Friday before I go on vacation, but I can't even get GP 9 installed.

Is it as simple as copying users? I only want one company to test. We have over 60 db's.

thanks!

In reference to your question in thread632-1486325 - yes, I meant copying live users to the test server.

There is some sort of special user id associated with each SQL user. This user id is tied into Dynamics GP users, and if not identical can prevent logging in.

There is a stored procedure that can create the SQL needed to "export" the users on one and "import" on another SQL server instance.

See for the script.

Well - maybe it's not tied to the GP user id within the DYNAMICS database, but if that special ID isn't identical the login will not work.

Hope that helps.

OK thanks. The error I got was because I didn't set up the ODBC. Then I got a versionVerification error and that says it's the collation, but I know I set that properly! I made sure of it, but oh well.

I've asked our var for help, and in the meantime I uninstalled everything including SQL2000 and have one day to start from scratch. sigh.

I only need the sa user for testing...but maybe not?

I remember restarting our test server from scratch several times - yea, loads of fun (especially on a tight schedule).

Well - with the sa user you could test all the functionality except permission levels I would assume, though it's not difficult to get the other users working (once you know how) and I'm pretty confident all that takes is that script.

I started from scratch, and this time made sure the SQL collation and sort order were correct. I proceeded to install GP and this time I was able to create the DYNAMICS database.

Now, I'm wondering if I need to create a new company the same way I normally would, or can I just create a New Database in Ent Mgr and restore into it? I better do it the long way.

I'm still unsure about the permissions thing, but this is only a test server for the upgrade process.

thanks

Here is what I would do...

Backup the DYNAMICS and company databases from your live server.

Then on the test server restore the DYNAMICS and company databases. Then use the scripts from the Microsoft site to migrate the users.

Create a new ODBC connection on a client pointing to the test server and you should be able to login just the same as you would the live server.

You could then proceed to test upgrading on the test server.

I was having problems with the install of a 3rd party product. Waiting patiently for their response.

I found the KB article to move to a new server, and it is helping immensely. I ran the logins capture thingy and restored Dynamics to "nothing" haha. I thought I needed the db's there first. Now I am restoring a company db. It's a big one, over 4 GB.

thanks, have a good weekend!

Lucky! Ours was close to 10GB.

3rd party products were a pain - we decided to drop our reliance on them.

Hope everything goes well for you - and have a good weekend yourself.

(sorry to thread jack)
Thanks Borvik (one star for you) - I was looking for the script to copy users & pwds from one server to another - nothing to do with my GP install... but this fit the ticket EXACTLY as I was having a bit of stress figuring out how to script this out.. knew I had seen it but could not find it ANYWHERE... all hail Gates!

There is an article in KB #878449 - and it includes the script to move user accounts.

Here is the link for the KB Article

You can download the script directly from there, or use the shortcut below.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back