Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Lab Router Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdolhon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2002
US
We are trying to setup a test lab for a future WAN configuration. We are having trouble getting complete/consisten connectivity through the setup in our test lab. Basically, we have what would be 2 remote sites sitting next to each other.

Equipment:
* 2 workstations (one on each end)
* 4 Cisco 1760 routers (2 on each end, one router with a 10BT Ethernet WIC Card, one with a T1 CSU/DSU WIC Card)
* 2 10/100 Switches

Baically, the setup we are trying to get to work in the lab is:

Workstation---Switch----10BT Router---T1 Router

Then from the T1 Router into a mirror of the above...so

W--S--10BT Router--T1 Router--T1Router--10BT Router--S--W

Now the connections of these are as follows:
The workstation connects into the switch via a straight through cable, the 10BT Ethernet port is connected into the switch via a straight through cable, the 10BT Ethernet router's 10/100 FastEthernet port is connected via cross-over cable to the 10/100 FastEthernet port of the T1 CSU/DSU Router. The two T1 CSU/DSU ports are connected via cross-over cable.

In the final setup, there will be a device which sits between the 10BT Router and the T1 Router, yet it simply acts as a passthrough and its only requirement is that it must have 1 subnetwork on its input, and a different subnetwork on its output...but we can simulate this using static routes without any problems.

When we started, we were unable to ping past our first router from the workstation. At this point we can get all the way up to the T1 CSU/DSU of the distant end. We can even get all the way up to The 10BT port of the distant end if we modify our IPs. As this will be replicated many times in the future, we would like to be able to configure all the boxes the same (we will have a little over 100 sites by the time we are done). So a unique address on each router would not be as easily managed as the same configuration for every box of the same type (ie all T1 CSU/DSU, all 10BT Ethernet, etc.) So we are trying to use a 10.0.0.0 addressing scheme. Our ability to get further in pinging has only occured after making every stop along the way its own subnetwork (ie 10.0.1.0, 10.0.2.0, etc.) and just keep incrementing along the way. Yet this does us no good in our final config. Also, one thing we found out was that OSPF helped to get it working better, but really not sure if we have it fully configured properly or not.

Any help would be appreciated. (PS. Sorry so long)

I'm not at all certain that I understand your problem, so bear with me if I'm way off here. But you do understand that routers route *between* subnets and not *within* subnets? In other words, you can't have a bunch of routers all interconnected using, say, 10.0.0.0/8. And you understand that there can't be multiple instances of the same subnet in a single network or routers will get confused as to where to send data? You need to bridge to use a single subnet at multiple locations.

Invalid:

10.0.0.1/8---router---10.0.0.2/8---router---10.0.0.3/8

Valid:

10.0.0.1/24---router---10.0.1.1/24---router---10.0.2.1/24

Valid:

10.0.0.1/8---bridge---10.0.0.2/8---bridge---10.0.0.3/8

If you haven't got this part very firmly in your grasp, you need outside help or you need to start a course of study beginning with the fundamentals.

Again, I may have misunderstood entirely, so please forgive me if I'm way off target.

Yes, we understand that part of it. From workstation down we are going 10.1.5.1, 10.1.4.1, etc. So that is understood and already implemented.

So what is your problem that you are trying to solve? You said something about separate subnets not fitting into your final design. Sorry, I'm just missing the point I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back