Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Lab - CSU/DSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasmit

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
Hello,

I currently have a test lab at my house, 2 2501's and 2 2505's. 1 CSU/DSU and 1 catalyst 1900 switch. I would like to simulate a CSU/DSU T1 line coming in my router. And I am not sure of the commands to config a CSU/DSU. I have OSPF running and ever router see's everything fine, but I want to incorperate the WAN aspect of this. If anyone has any tips that might help me.

Thanks,
Dave

That won't work as the csu/dsu changes the signal that comes across the wire to something that the router can understand. You need to get a 60 pin crossover cable and hook the routers back to back using the crossover cable to simulate your wan. If I remember correctly you will need to set one router with the command clock source internal and the other one with clock source line to imitate the serial link and then you can configure from there.

Michael64 is correct. Just to clarify his point with regards to clocking. Cisco Routers run as DTE devices (CSU\DSU provides the synchronising signal) In a lab environment where you connect two routers back to back you have no clock signal. It is possible to configure one router as a DCE device - the easiest way is to issue the clock rate 56000 (where 56000 is bps and can be changed) on the serial interface of both routers. It is worth remembering that only one of the two routers will accept the command.

Hope that clarifies things.

Trevor
:)

yes trevorh13 and Michael64 are correct you need to clock the DCE side of the cable only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back