Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test if a directory excist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InZomnia

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
I need to upload a file to a folder that I dont know wether excist or not, so I have to:

1. test if the folder already excist, and if it doesn't them make it.
2. save the file in that folder.

However I dont know how to CHECK if a folder already excist??

- Thanks alot!!!

look up the file test operators for many more file testing options

If Trojan's suggestion helped you out, thank him with a star.

rharsh - we don't do that

Mike

I am not inscrutable. [orientalbow]

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

rhash,
Thanks for the consideration.
It annoys me too sometimes. I got a nice message from the admins the other day about mentioning it.
I'm not so fussed for myself since I've spent a big chunk of the year being top of the MVPs list but it's the principle that annoys me.
Also the admins say that they don't want to encourage competition and yet the have a system of MVP's and TipMaster of the week that is driven by them. Seems completely two faced to me but there you go.
I don't doubt I'll get in trouble for this post too but you know, I thought there was such a thing as freedom of speech.
Maybe I was wrong.

Trojan.

hehehe... I quit webmasterworld after a brief time because even the slighest comment about policy is removed within minutes, even innocent comments that are next to insignificant.

I think the stars and the MVP lists create some freindly competition, but I don't see it as anymore than that. If a person that has been helped in some way gives a star that is great, if not, oh well, it's nothing to be too concerned about IMHO. I have gotten stars for reasons I didn't think were too deserving, so maybe it balances out.

Hmm, what is the star-thing?? How do I give them, and how many can I give?? If I have maybe 5 questions a month, can I give everyone a star that helps me? And does it cost anything to give a star? :)

Thanks!

You can give as many stars as you like.
You can give them to anyone you like.
You can only give one per person in any one thread.
They cost nothing.
I would rather you did not offer one to me in this thread though cos the admins seem displeased with me already and they may think that I'm pushing for them. I am not.
As I said previously, I've been top of the list for a big chunk of this year. I have also been TipMaster of the week (which for the perl forum is saying something). I don't feel the need to be there again.
I do however feel that it is nice for others to be shown the appreciation where appropriate.
I think the admins go way over the top on this issue. You clearly demonstrate here that you are not even aware of the system. I don't feel that a subtle nudge to recognise one of our most useful tipmasters is inappropriate.

Trojan.

I apologize if my last post was against the rules for this site.

I agree with a lot of Trojan's sentiments.

It's often frustrating when you post a solution/suggestion and the OP never posts a response at all. It is nice to see the 'thanks, that helped!' messages that usually appear. But it's also nice to get a star in appreciation for the help - if for no other reason than someone took a little extra time and a couple of mouse clicks to say thanks for helping.

I can see that this could cause problems with the rankings, since they are based on the awarded stars, if we lobbied for stars on our own behalf. But when the OP posts something like "That worked Perfect! Thanks!" he/she is obviously thanking someone for a valuable post - which I believe is, more or less, how the link reads for star giving.

I'll refrain from posting messages like that again, but if someone doesn't know about the star system, and they post a message with the same intent, what's the harm in suggesting they give someone a star?

Agreed.
Especially if you are actually suggesting a star for someone else and not yourself.
Of course, the system can be cheated but that's not the point. It would be easy to cheat anyway if you really wanted to.
Anyway, I would like to thank rhash for his valuable posts here so I am AWARDING A STAR!

;-)

Trojan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back