Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test for USB 2.0 Availability 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

duane123

Technical User
Jan 1, 2004
Does anyone know of a software test that can be downloaded and run to see if High Speed USB 2.0 is resident on a PC? I have installed Windows XP on a couple of older PCs and one has a USB PCI card installed but I have no way of knowing if either of these PC have USB 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 capability.
Thanks

Do you have a USB 2.0 device to test? If so, see if you're getting more than 1.5MB/second transfer times. That would indicate that the USB 2.0 port is operating properly.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I've noticed I get message about what to do to improve the connection speed when I connect a USB2 device to a 1.1 port.

If you are getting thst message (the one about improving the performancr of USB2.0 devices) then the USB ports you have are NOT USB2

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

haemphyst,
So you mean what wolluf said?

Yes. The OS is telling you that you are plugging a hi-speed (USB2) deveice into a non hi-speed (USB1) port.

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Thank you all - I downloaded Everesthome which seems like an awesome tool, but in all honestty could not see how one could tell on Everesthome if the USP hub or host controller were up to the 2.0 high speed. I got two different results on two different PCs both of which have 2.0 capability (but one uses on-board and the other uses a PCI adaper). Seems best to try and plus in a 100Mpbs internet adapter and look for the message that Wolluf is referring to. I plugged it into a 1.1 port and sure enough it says there are other ports that will offer higher speed.

On my machine this shows USB 1 devices as USB Root Hub and USB2 as USB 2.0 Root Hub.

If you wwnat a bit more info then get SiSoft Sandra.

Download Lite version here
Open up the Mainboard Information and scroll down and detailed info on the USB controllers is shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back