Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test for Outgoing Spam (malware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpme2pc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2005
US
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am looking at a few products to try to block malware from sending spam from our pc's and getting us put on a blacklist but still allow legit emails out. There are a few 3rd party apps and hardware solutions available that I'd like to test but it doesn't mean anything if I can't see if they work or not. Does anyone know if there's a program I can dl and run on my machine to test these solutions aside from just opening my system up to the world and seeing what happens? Thanks in advance.

Try AppRiver. I have several clients set up with their spam filter and they are great. Excellent customer service. If you have your own domain this is the way to go.

I thought about just blocking port 25 from all users except the Exchange server which would work in most instances but we do have some companies we support that don't have their own mail server which make that difficult. The other thought I had was how long until the trojan/zombie progs are smart enough that they use an alternate port too. Who knows, it may already have happened that way. That was why I figured something smart enough to analyze the traffic would be the best way to go.

Locking port 25 in your firewall is good practice - even when their isn't a problem.

True, things could try using another port, but if the receiving side isn't listening on that port, it's not going to work.

AppRiver is ok, but it doesn't apply to this situation. Even if you configure your server to use both inbound and outbound to AppRiver, it doesn't address the issue with the workstations sending SMTP mail.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back