Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test disaster recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happysecret

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
SE
Hi!
I want to test a disaster recovery of all savesets on a Windows machine.
The thought was to do a directed recover to an another machine, but you are not allowed to do a directed recover of the System Files saveset.
And I cant have two machines with same ip and name on the network.

Any suggestions for a easy way to do this disaster recovery test?

Kind regards
Fred

Swap the harddisk, It is a good way if I could turn the machine off. This machine needs to be online 100 % of the time so thats why I cant do like that.

One possibility is to add a route statement to your main server that routes the ip of the dr server to a dummy ip address. That way neither server will be able to see each other. Otherwise you are going to have to setup a seperate network with the same ip addresses and keep them seperated.

Is there no machine which you could use for test purposes? It must not necessarily be a productive system to understand how DR works. And do not forget that NW will work for 30 days (eval mode) on any system. So you do not need a license for test purposes.

Thanks for your sugeestions.. It is either of this way i need to do, seperate routed LAN or swapping the machines/hardisks.

I have tried DR a couple of times when our production machines have been in trouble and it works really good.

I think I will do this test in the night to see that all applications and drivers/firmware works on the our "cold-standby" machine.
Thanks for all help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back