Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Cluster, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovecocks

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2006
DK
I am trying to set up a cluster to test Microsoft software on, the reason why i have put it here, is because it would be preferred that it was a linux cluster.
I have toyed with numerous distros, and the one i have gotten to work is a live cd, which won't really work, as i have to install wine or something else to run windows applications.
So my question is, what would you suggest i use?

It sounds very cumbersome.

You are trying to establish a linux cluster to test windoz apps?

You will obviously need wine or something similar to run windoz software after creating a linux cluster as you seem to be aware of in your post; all the performance benefits of a linux cluster will be tremendously re-dimensioned by the windoz emulation layer.
Second, not everything runs smoothly on wine; actually custom software may be very complex to get to work on wine.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Yeah i have used wine before, and i know it's pretty much utter crap when it comes to emulation, but this would pretty much be standard windows applications, like the new word and such.
The reason why my boss wants a linux cluster, is because a windows cluster loads up one pc after another when it needs it, and the linux cluster apparently puts a bit on each computer.
He wants "one" big computer and not multiple small ones, a free windows solution that does the same would be beneficial aswell.

As far as I know(and tried. clusterKnoppix), a Linux cluster will act just like a Windows cluster unless the program is threaded(or hacked to be) and can fork the load across all the PCs simultaneously. Things like video encoding and 3D graphics(povray) can benefit from a cluster. Things like word processing and email won't.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

I have tried clusterknoppix and as said, it doesn't really cope with what we need.
As far as i am concerned, shouldn't all ressources be available in a cluster? The idea we are going for is multiple programs running at the same time and then stress testing them, and ofcourse testing them for bugs before our end users get their hands on it.

There are may types of linux clusters, it looks that you need a load sharing linux cluster. There are also many solutions concerning load sharing clusters.

Google, in this case, may be a better resource than tek-tips; after you find your preferred solution we may be able to help you on that.

Search about "load sharing linux clusters" and, to manage your cluster, heart-beat seems to be the easiest/most popular

QaTQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

thx qatqat, this is something i might be able to use, and i have searched google for endless hours on this subject and other, it just gets teidious at times.

The most basic of cluster setups would be either:
1) HA - High Availability (Active/Passive or Active/Active)
2) HPC - High Performance Computing

From your post, you seem to be looking into HPC. But like I said earlier, "standard Windows applications" are not cluster aware to run on all node simultaneously.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

@zeland
You might be right on that, and i didden't think you could use it for programs either. But my boss wants... So i just want to know if there is a way, and yes it is HPC i'm looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back