Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

test.aspx bringing up a 404 not found error

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidifice

Programmer
Oct 9, 2003
US
I have a test.aspx file that displays a couple .net controls. This file works fine on my local pc.
When I move this file onto my live site (win2003) it comes up with a 404 not found error.

I've ran 'aspnet_iisreg.exe -i' and the file type exists in my IIS configuration.

Obviously I'm missing something and any help would be appreciated.

~dustin

Yes.
I added the virtual dir and gave it an app name/configuration.

Can you access other pages on the server without trouble?

Usually if the file exists on a different machine you get some sort of permissions error at least (not a file not found). You may check to make sure the asp.net user has access to the file on the server, but I really doubt that the problem is there.

.aspx pages are obviously configured to work on the server (even if they aren't, you typically don't get a 404)...

I don't know. If I were you, though, I'd focus my efforts making sure the file system/virtual directory are all set up correctly.

Maybe if you created a web setup project for your app and loaded everything through an .msi the directory issues would be automatically handled without further effort on your part.

I have an images folder inside of my app's folder and I can navigate to the images just fine
ex: h*tp://server/application/images/test.jpg

It's really wierd to get the 404 instead of some other error. I'll try some different settings and post whatever I can find out.

I managed to get this working.
The .aspx extension was denied in the Web Service Extensions and I had to give read/execute/dirlist access to the account 'servername'\ASPNET. This access had to be on the web root and the virtual directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back