Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
I have a DB (DB2/UDB) which is about 100GB. The 100GB file gets dumped on a filesystem. What is it called, when you have to split the dump file from 100GB to lets say 4x25GB files?

TIA

I guess I would call it 'image splitting', since the backup is just an image file of the database (or snapshot).

in archiving some utilities it is called "saving to volumes".

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Maybe you could post your question in the Making an Impression Forum as well (forum1256).
The words we use and how we use them often reflect our professionalism. Light-hearted discussions on words, word usage, grammar, and related topics to improve our ability to communicate effectively and help project the right image.
Regarding your question, I would say "partitioning"? I am not sure, but the guys of the other forum know better than me.

Try to search INET with file splitter. There are lots of URLs with Split files into pieces so that you can move them between systems... etc.
To split file, what else?..

Or for those of us who dwell in the less technically-elegant, maybe "chunking"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back