Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminating Cat5e with A or B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidKnows

Programmer
Oct 11, 2007
US
I've finally wired my house and I'm ready to test the network. I break out the patch panel and wall plates and notice an A and B printed on the sides; each with a different wiring layout. How is a Novice to know which to use? Can I use B for both the Wall and the Patch Panel? Does it matter? Should I use A instead? Is it determined by the type of Switch I'm hooking up?

The Switch I am using is a Netgear FS108, and that'll be hooked into the Cat5e patch panel. Does that switch need a specific Wiring type?

Also... does anyone know where I plug my cable modem into the switch? The image on the Switch's info page doesn't give a clear answer.

Looking forward to the end of this madness :) Many thanks in advance.

Most configurations in the U.S use 568B configuration. In 95% of all of my installs it is standard to wire them 568b. 568A is popular oversees. Doesn't matter which one you use as long as it is configured the same at the patch panel as it is at the workstation locations. Good Luck

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

Your router should have a port for the modem. What are you using?

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

I'll second using the 568B (introduced by AT&T).

I'm not using a Router, Ravnz5. I'm going from Cable Modem --> Switch (Netgear Fs108) --> Patch Panel (Unknown brand - 24 Port) --> Wall (Leviton Cat5e Plugs Things) --> PC

Agree. Keep both the same. 568B preferred.

Way back when, the USOC 6 pin standard called for pin 3/4 (Blue=R1+/whiteblue=T1+)and 2/5 (Orange=T2/whiteorange=R2)for phones. The phones were analog and potential 24+ VDC ring voltage could cause computer circuit problems if 6 pin were accidentally plugged into 8 pin. Data (8 pin RJ45 jack) was pin 1,2,3 and 6 which could sneek circuit to pin 2&5 of the 6 pin RJ11/12 phone jack.

So it followed that the 568A standard was for phones (w/green,green,w/orange,blue,w/blue,orange,w/brown,brown)and 568B was for data (w/orange,orange,w/green,blue,w/blue,green,w/brown,brown).

But since "most" phones in US are now all digital, the circuit problems are no longer as prevalent but the standard still exists.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Although 568B is the more commonly used scheme in all realilty it doesn't matter as long as you use the same scheme on your jacks and your patch panels. 568A was (still is) used mostly by the goverment or goverment agencies.

The most important thing is to have all your components on the same scheme and you will not have a reverse in your wiremap.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

DavidKnows, you cannot connect your cablemodem directly to the switch unless it has its own router built in. How many LAN ports on the cablemodem? If there's only one then you will need to connect this to the WAN port on a cable/DSL router and then uplink this to your FS108 (using any of the available ports).

The cablemodem will not perform NAT for your network on it's own. In essence if you connect the cablemodem to the switch directly it will try to talk to all the PCs and they may be exposed directly to the Internet (very bad) if the cablemodem assigns them a WAN IP address. Therefore you need a router to provide basic NAT/firewall functionality.

Pain - Do you have any recommendations for a hardware firewall? I was at Newegg reading some reviews and it seems the cheaper ones (Under $100) get a lot of negative comments. Unfortunately, I'm not able to spend over $100... If I connect the Cable Modem into the Firewall, then Connect the Firewall into the Switch, then it'll operate the same way... yes?

The standard that is becoming popular for small business and homes is 568A. This allows the center two pairs (blue and orange) to be used for two line phones and most splitters will split them out that way. As for data in the same application you can use either, but I would suggest using the same for both. I agree that B is the way to go for any real standard. But that is why there are two standards. 568B is the one standard because AT&T was one of the largest monetary contributors to the standard body when it was created. Everyone else wanted 568A for the simple fact it was not AT&T. To date, there is very little electrical difference between A and B. My brother is a 100% 568A installer because he does allot of residence in FLA. I do 568A in homes and 568B in business.

I hope I added to your confusion but that’s what happens with too many cooks in the kitchen when you making a standard.

Here is the best bang for my buck in low end routers:

Or if you want to add in wireless:

The FVS318 has 8 ports so most homes will not need an additional hub/switch. The aftermarket firmware for the WTR54GL make it very handy.

While $150 is out of your range the Linksys RV042 is what I use the most of these days. VPN is a big deal and the RV series will connect to just about anything with or without static IPs.

Another router I have installed bunches of is the D-Link DI604. You should be able to find them on eBay for about $25 delivered. They are getting old but they are very compact, work well and are CHEAP!

YOU NEED A ROUTER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back